Why become a member? ×

Pricing help - Washburn MB-8

didle

Hi All,
I'm looking for some help pricing a few instruments that I'm not using anymore. A trip to my local music store yesterday prompted a bad case of GAS. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of spare cash and my better half has forbidden me buying any more basses without moving on some of the others.

So here's what I've got - could some kind person give me some ideas what they're worth please? I could part-ex them for a new bass but I'd get a better price selling them privately. Once I know what I could get I'll be able to make a decision on whether to sell and buy a new bass or just keep the lot.

Japanese Fender Jazz in Lake Placid Blue, good condition, with a few dings and a small bit of buckle rash. In a Fender hard case (beaten up but still sound) with Dunlop strap locks. Approx 15 years old.
[attachment=79569:thea.jpg]

Japanese Fender Fretless Jazz in white/cream. This is pretty much unplayed but does have a chip to the paint on one side. Approx 11 years old, it's got a 50 years of excellence sticker on the back of the headstock. Dunlop straplocks again.
[attachment=79568:olivia.jpg]

Washburn MB8 in transparent red. This is really old, I must have bought it in '94. Again it's got straplocks and is in ok condition but with a chip to the paint on the rear. It's got status pickups and a meaty 18v active circuit. I've had the cavity shielded too.
[attachment=79567:emily.jpg]

Takamine EG512C, acoustic bass guitar. This is mint condition other than the added Dunlop straplocks. Big, padded case included.
[attachment=79566:alison.jpg]

My apologies if this type of thing isn't allowed but I could do with the help
Cheers,
Doug

Edited by didle

The Japanese Jazzes might go for anywhere between £400 and £600 (used prices seem to have taken an up turn lately but this might be a temporary / fashion thing). The other two I can't help you with, sorry.

Oh and be wary of posters who give you a valuation and follow it up with an offer to buy. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

Yes, the Japanese Fenders have increased in price recently, probably due to the fact that a new US Fender is well over a grand. The £400 - £600 is a fairly good indicator, depends on condition of item/whether a quick sale is needed to where you place it within this price bracket.

A good guideline is Inshibashi - have a look at their used section:

[url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/[/url]

For guidance, 50,000 Yen = approx £380.00

And you`re right about p-exing, don`t unless something comes up that you really can`t turn down.

Thanks Guys - even £300 for each Fender is considerably more than I was expecting (although I haven't sold them yet!). My target is £650 so this is a welcome piece of good news.

I might take some decent pictures of the fretless and list it on the forum this evening.

If anyone has an idea of the Takamines worth I would be still be interested.

The Washburn is my first instrument and parting with it would be very hard, especially if it's worth bugger all!

Cheers,
Doug

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1227679' date='May 11 2011, 03:50 PM']I think you would get £900 - £1000 for the two Jazzes, but I doubt you would get £650 for one of them. The fretted one will go for more, partly because it's a very popular colour and partly because there aren't too many fretless players around.[/quote]

You misunderstand me - what I meant was that selling both Jazzes and making £650 in total will make me a happy man. Unfortunately my Father has the fretted one on long term loan so I'll have to get it back before I can sell it - I can start selling the fretless right away.

I have to admit to being a bit sceptical that I'll get close to £900 for the pair but I'm happy to eat humble pie :-)

Cheers,
Doug

Oh no I understood you it just seems a shame to sell both of them if one will get you close. If you're in a rush to sell though I would leave the fretless off the market because that one will take longer to find a buyer and you will have to go lower if you want to shift it quickly. I'm sure you could make up your total with the blue one and one of the others.

Best of luck anyway they look like nice basses. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

The fretless is now for sale here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=135570"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=135570[/url]

I'll add the blue fretted towards the end of the month when I get it back from my Dad.

Thanks for all your help guys.