Why become a member? ×

Wampler pedals

Scotticus

Hi folks,

Anybody got experience of using Wampler pedals on bass? I'm particularly curious about the Ego Compressor (I like the idea of something a bit brighter than my TonePress, plus it's got an attack control, I've missed that). Also considering picking up a Triple Wreck (not heard this on bass yet, but the guitar samples would suggest low end in abundance, something my Tech 21 XXL does not do well).

Any thoughts appreciated...

Scott

I've got the Ego and it's amazing for guitar. It also sounds exactly the same for bass, but I just don't like compressors on bass. The tone control really does help add a lot of definition to the sound, particularly on guitar.

I also went and reviewed the Triple Wreck but decided not to get it. It's a tight Mesa distortion on guitar, but very noisy. Also, the 'boost' function is useless, turns the sound into unuseable mush.

If you want a great Mesa type distortion (for guitar at least) have a look at the Tech 21 California. If you're just wanting more low end, have a look at a blend pedal to use with your existing guitar and blend your clean low end in with your distorted signal. SFX Sound make some great blenders.

Thanks Mcgraham, that's all useful info.

The distortion question is pretty much just GAS, considering I like the Tech 21 XXL and have recently acquired an SFX X&M from here. I'm putting the curiosity down to a few teething troubles I'm having with this new board configuration, and perhaps that I'd prefer not to have my pedals quite so bunched up together, so I'm keeping an eye out for a distortion that might negate the need for the X&M eventually.

Compressor-wise though it's more than just GAS, I definitely need something a bit zingier than my TonePress. If anybody who does like compression on bass has got oppinions on the Ego, or anybody would be up for a trade, I'm still all ears.

Cheers
Scott

You could have a look at some pedals like the ZVex Mastotron which has a 3 position 'sub switch' - number 1 is just all fuzz, number 2 passes a bit more of your low end through uneffected, and number three passes a huge amount of your dry low end in with the fuzz (like the X&M in combination with a fuzz).

Ok, so the Mastotron is the first fuzz that's gotten me excited. It's making me wonder whether I'm actually after a distortion, perhaps what I'm hearing in my head is a fuzz.

To give everyone an idea of the sound I'm shooting for, here's a Youtube clip for reference:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjvtx3HMUks"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjvtx3HMUks[/url]
I tend to be a little more mid scooped than that, but that level of narly growl is what I'm after.

TBH, I went with the XXL because Tech 21 were a brand I knew and liked on guitar (this is pre-discovery that I'd be 100% happier lolopping about down low).

I'm Googling fuzz pedals in conjunction with active basses now like a mad thing, but if anybody else has recommendations based on the song above I'd love to have those.

Cheers all
Scott

I'm surprised at your thoughts on the XXL. I've not tried it personally (my gf promised me one for christmas but it still hasn't appeared :) ) but when I spoke to the guy from Karnivool he said it didn't require a clean blend as the pedal didn't cut any low end. Are you using the guitar or bass version?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1227181' date='May 11 2011, 09:46 AM']I'm surprised at your thoughts on the XXL. I've not tried it personally (my gf promised me one for christmas but it still hasn't appeared :) ) but when I spoke to the guy from Karnivool he said it didn't require a clean blend as the pedal didn't cut any low end. Are you using the guitar or bass version?[/quote]

+1. Both Bass XXLs I've had were massively low end friendly.

Well whaddaya know - Tom's comment made me take a poke around Tech 21's site to find out which XXL I have here. Turns out that it's the original version (before they issued specific versions for guitar and bass). It truly was a facepalm moment. That's what I get for not being geeky enough to go research things given to me as gifts I guess. We're off to list a pedal...

So, maybe I'll like the XXL more when I get a bass version :)

On another note - you spoke to Jon Stockman? Can I get all excited and ask how/when/where/what he said?

[quote name='Scotticus' post='1227477' date='May 11 2011, 01:21 PM']On another note - you spoke to Jon Stockman? Can I get all excited and ask how/when/where/what he said?[/quote]

Yeh after a gig in Manchester. I almost wet myself. I was explaining that my balls have never been fondled like they are by his dirty bass tone. He says he just uses an ODB3 for one bass and the XXL for the other (I think he has a streamer and a corvette?). He doesn't use a blender at all. He started asking me about my rig and I was a little wasted and embarassed so I slunk off as soon as some groupies turned up for autographs.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1227534' date='May 11 2011, 01:55 PM']He started asking me about my rig and I was a little wasted and embarassed so I slunk off as soon as some groupies turned up for autographs.[/quote]
Groupies for a bass player? Hmmm, maybe it's because he's Australian.

Was that a few months ago when they were over here by any chance? I had tickets to the London show at Scala, but somehow managed to put it in the calendar on the wrong date. To this day I'm a bit shocked at how foul the language was when the reminder went off, I rummaged for the tickets, and realised that the gig had happened yesterday :)