Why become a member? ×

Buying a Rickenbacker 4003

BenHorne

Hi!

I'm considering to buy this Ric:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330211777744&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123[/url]

I know very little about Rics, just that they look cool and I really adore Chris Squires sound!! Is there anything that I should know about before buying this?

One more thing, one of you guys posted a cartoon picture of a girl with the midnight blue ric, but I cannot seem to find it. Anyone who know where it is??

I hope I get a lot of comments on this,

Best regards
Ben

Hiya Ben

I notice that the seller has limited feedback dating to 2005. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing but I'd ask him if Cash on collection was a possibility, just to put your mind at ease.

The Ric is great in that colour isn't it :) Some more pictures would be good, and you could ask for them. Also does it come with a Ric case and is the 'case candy' all there too? He doesn't say whether or not the bass has the Vintage Tone Control fitted. Probably not I suspect. If you like the Chris Squire sound I'd strongly recommend retro fitting it. It put a capacitor across the bridge pickup pot and gives a more vintage tone at the expense of some output level. It's switchable therefore reversable.

I expect the price will rise considerably.

Have you tried a Ric before?

Good luck

I'd say £740 is more than fair as it stands, but I'd expect that to go up maybe £100 before the auction ends. There's another blue 4003 in similar condition with a case standing at £740 on there at the moment, though that had a buy it now price which has disappeared since someone has placed a bid. Might be worth contacting them to see what they would let it go for.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='140981' date='Feb 15 2008, 12:36 PM']I'd say more than another £100 definately. Perhaps even over the £1k ?

The recent price rise, the colour and the apparent condition are all going for it. There's a regular Ric seller on eBay who would be asking at least £1150 for this.

Peter[/quote]

Yep, £850 would definitely be cheap for this bass, but against that there's the lack of feedback and lack of pictures or anything like an adequate description

Incidentally, Reidys are doing Ricks for £999 if you don't mind a wait - 6 weeks for a Jetglo, but 10 months if you want an azureglo.

[url="http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=1550"]http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=1550[/url]

Edited by Musky

One more thing, one of you guys posted a cartoon picture of a girl with the midnight blue ric, but I cannot seem to find it. Anyone who know where it is??

[b]That will be Haruhara Haruko from Fooly Cooly[/b]

Edited by Adee

If you get one for between £900 and £1000 in excellent condition with case etc then you are doing very well. Things to check for are;

Twisted necks - not a common occurence but 4003s have two truss rod adjusters and some people make a right dogs dinner of them. The neck relief SHOULD be zero if it is looked after properly.

Bridge pickup cover - people take them off and lose them.

Case - Nothing like the original case as it is very sturdy, so don't buy without one.

Binding - check that the body binding is all intact, especially at the bottom by the bridge. It can take knocks there and get split.

Bridge mutes - make sure these turn well.

Vintage Tone Control - as Peter says, newer models have this. A worthy mod to older ones if you like the sound. I'm not sure it affects second hand price though.

This one looks great - it's even got the made in USA sticker on the pickguard still. Good luck.

Steve