Why become a member? ×

FS - pair of SE1A condensers and Edirol MIDI controller keyboard

As the title says; yet another unexpected bill means moving on even more of my 'studio' rig :)

A matched pair of SE Electronics SE1A small-diaphragm condenser mics - [b]SOLD[/b]

And an Edirol PCR-80 MIDI controller keyboard - picked this up off of eBay last week, all works fine, 61-key master keyboard with can be USB powered or via a 9V AC adaptor (not supplied). The only issues are one fader tip broken off and one fader knob missing but both still work.

[url="http://www.roland.com/products/en/PCR-80/"]http://www.roland.com/products/en/PCR-80/[/url]

Sustain and volume pedal jacks, MIDI in and out on DIN plugs or use USB (or both, apparently; haven't downloaded the drivers to get the full features but it'll apparently do stuff I'd never even think of needing :)). The surface controls can be assigned to pretty much any parameter you like (even without fiddling with anything I had 'em controlling synth pan and volume in Logic, so someone with the time and inclination to set it up could probably fully control a synth or sequencer from this)

Paid fifty quid for it which was a steal, so I'd like to get that back - based in Birmingham / Warwickshire / Worcestershire / Staffs (between home, work, child and parents!) for meeting up or whathaveyou.

Edited by Ian Savage

Hmm, there's a chance my band need a Midi keyboard (I'd be the muggins dropping my bass to use it for a song). Basically, if you have a listen to Luck (follow link to the band myspace in my signature), we have a keyboard line that was done on a superexpensive korg that happened to be in the studio on the day. What do you reckon the feasibility is of us getting a patch from somewhere that sounds like it (I have a friend who owns a studio so perhaps not impossible) and using this to play it?

Thanks
Dan

[quote name='dc2009' post='1222303' date='May 6 2011, 04:09 PM']Hmm, there's a chance my band need a Midi keyboard (I'd be the muggins dropping my bass to use it for a song). Basically, if you have a listen to Luck (follow link to the band myspace in my signature), we have a keyboard line that was done on a superexpensive korg that happened to be in the studio on the day. What do you reckon the feasibility is of us getting a patch from somewhere that sounds like it (I have a friend who owns a studio so perhaps not impossible) and using this to play it?

Thanks
Dan[/quote]

That should be easy enough to knock up on a virtual instrument, aye! The extra control on the Edirol might be reet useful for doing something like that too if you (or tech-savvy friend :)) have the chance to configure everything. I take it you'd be planning on running the keyboard straight into a laptop and laptop D.I'd into the PA?

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='1222331' date='May 6 2011, 04:27 PM']That should be easy enough to knock up on a virtual instrument, aye! The extra control on the Edirol might be reet useful for doing something like that too if you (or tech-savvy friend :)) have the chance to configure everything. I take it you'd be planning on running the keyboard straight into a laptop and laptop D.I'd into the PA?[/quote]

Man, I haven't a clue about how we'd be doing it, all I know is that Midi controllers in general can be used to do stuff like that. What would this virtual instrument thing need/how would it be done?
Sorry about this, I really haven't an idea, I'd imagine I'll need someone showing me how to do it when it comes, but do you have any ideas as to how feasible it would be, it'd only need to be doable live really? I'll have a word with the band about it too, see what they think, though we are definitely searching for something like this, and 50 nicker seems alright!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1222370' date='May 6 2011, 04:57 PM']Man, I haven't a clue about how we'd be doing it, all I know is that Midi controllers in general can be used to do stuff like that. What would this virtual instrument thing need/how would it be done?[/quote]

Well, the point of MIDI controller 'boards is that they don't have in-built sounds of their own, they're made to control other sound generators (hardware or software synths, or sequencers) via MIDI or more recently USB (this one'll do either). The easiest way to do what you're talking about would be to sort out a free soft synth on a laptop or netbook and either get someone to approximate by ear the sound you recorded with or (even better) find out what the sound was and see if there's a soft synth patch on the net for it (there'll almost certainly be something close).

Then you just connect keyboard to laptop/netbook, connect that to the PA and Bob's your mother's brother! If you're properly clueless re. soft synths and suchlike a knowledgable mate will be worth their weight in cheap lager, but once it's set up it should be a piece of cake to run.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1222303' date='May 6 2011, 04:09 PM']we have a keyboard line that was done on a superexpensive korg that happened to be in the studio on the day. What do you reckon the feasibility is of us getting a patch from somewhere that sounds like it (I have a friend who owns a studio so perhaps not impossible) and using this to play it?[/quote]

Hi Dan, Korg do their own plugins (which can be used as an instrument inside Cubase / Logic / ProTools / Reaper etc...) or as a standalone application (no need for any other software), and both work really well. The link to their website is [url="http://www.korg.com/products.aspx?ct=53"]HERE[/url]. think they're about £40 a pop, which is considerably cheaper and lighter than lugging an old Wavestation (or similar) around. I can heartily recommend the MS20. It's not easy to program, but there are loads of presets that are free to download from their site too.

Cheers, Paul

[quote name='paul_5' post='1225488' date='May 9 2011, 07:57 PM']Hi Dan, Korg do their own plugins (which can be used as an instrument inside Cubase / Logic / ProTools / Reaper etc...) or as a standalone application (no need for any other software), and both work really well. The link to their website is [url="http://www.korg.com/products.aspx?ct=53"]HERE[/url]. think they're about £40 a pop, which is considerably cheaper and lighter than lugging an old Wavestation (or similar) around. I can heartily recommend the MS20. It's not easy to program, but there are loads of presets that are free to download from their site too.

Cheers, Paul[/quote]

Thanks Paul. So would I use that program on a laptop, either in logic/cubase or on it's own, and then use a midi keyboard like the edirol here through the laptop, to get the sound I want?

[quote name='dc2009' post='1225540' date='May 9 2011, 08:44 PM']Thanks Paul. So would I use that program on a laptop, either in logic/cubase or on it's own, and then use a midi keyboard like the edirol here through the laptop, to get the sound I want?[/quote]
Precisely. The computer then becomes a 'box of sounds' that the MIDI controller triggers. All this USB and plugin gubbins! I remember having to sample sounds on outboard gear, then set loop points on a tiny numerical display. You kids don't know you're born... and I'm only 35!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...