Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH 1000-12 - one side not working!

aldude

I have a Trace Elliot 1000-12 head from about 2006. It has 2 500W power amps with respective speaker outputs on the rear.

Now the 'left' side is completely dead and no sound comes out, only the 'right' side is working. This is not a problem, as I only use one cab at the mo, but if these things have a habit of dying then if the other half goes too I am in trouble... unless I can fix the left side.

Anyone know a starting point to fixing this thing, i.e. internal fuses or whatnot? I should add that the preamp and right power amp stage seem completely fine.

Thanks!

[quote name='andy67' post='1219976' date='May 4 2011, 03:40 PM']I stick a bet on it being a fuse in the left output chain.

unplug from mains, take off lid, locate glass fuse/s, check for burn out, if so? take ratings, buy new fuse/s, replace and job done!

andy[/quote]

Thanks very much, I was hoping it was something as simple as that.... I will have a fiddle round inside over the next few days and post the results, if I haven't fried myself!

EDIT: This head is actually a beast for fuses when switching it on - it blows fuses in kettle leads and distribution boards, and even trips mains fuses sometimes.

Edited by aldude

[quote name='aldude' post='1220003' date='May 4 2011, 04:09 PM']Thanks very much, I was hoping it was something as simple as that.... I will have a fiddle round inside over the next few days and post the results, if I haven't fried myself!

EDIT: This head is actually a beast for fuses when switching it on - it blows fuses in kettle leads and distribution boards, and even trips mains fuses sometimes.[/quote]

I'd say if it is blowing fuses (of the correct value) then it's a good time to get it checked out by a professional. The fuse in the power lead should be 13A - and if there is a fuse in a cartridge on the back of the amp then check it's the correct value and type (e.g slow blow). If it's tripping a distribution board, then alarm bells should be ringing ;o)

Good luck, I hope the fix isn't costly!

26 screws (!) later, it appears there are a whole load of fuses in there - one glass 160mA which seems ok, about 6 1A fuses and two 12.5A ones. The 1 and 12.5A are opaque so it's going to be a bit trial and error. Still, I have ordered a pile of slow blow fuses at these ratings as they are cheap so here's hoping that will do the trick!

[quote name='dood' post='1220041' date='May 4 2011, 04:58 PM']I'd say if it is blowing fuses (of the correct value) then it's a good time to get it checked out by a professional. The fuse in the power lead should be 13A - and if there is a fuse in a cartridge on the back of the amp then check it's the correct value and type (e.g slow blow). If it's tripping a distribution board, then alarm bells should be ringing ;o)[/quote]

What he said. Blowing a 13A fuse is pretty hardcore.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update....

Replaced all the fuses - but no joy, sadly something more fundamental I thought. Took it in to my repair man, who took ages actually finding the problem, and it turned out that it was just a dodgy Speakon output connector! Will be getting this replaced, though it's a custom Trace part that was presumably designed by Gibson, Peavey now own TE apparently, so getting one involves a bit of a dance but my man has managed it!