Why become a member? ×

Maple-Glo Rickenbacker 4001 Fretless (1974)

odub

Hello all

I think I've decided to move on the Fretless Ricky that I bought from Happy Jack [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=55996&hl=back"]here[/url]. It is not getting the play time it deserves and whilst I was thinking about holding on to it as an investment piece my better half dictates one in one out so I guess that’s that.

Happy Jack is 1000 times more knowledgeable than me so I'll use his words to describe it:

"Fretless Ricky’s didn’t get into the catalogue until 1984, so this one was a factory special order. It has red dot markers down the binding which seems to be unique; I’ve never seen these on any other Ricky anyway.

The phenolic fingerboard has a phenomenal mwah and is completely unmarked. The bass is complete right down to the original horse-shoe pickup cover, and of course comes in the original Rickenbacker hard case.

This is just a lovely, lovely instrument.

It weighs a lot less than the two basses listed above, but it’s still over 9 lbs and my quest for lightness knows no bounds." -- Happy Jack

The original detailed pictures are here:
[url="http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=45It2s124q%2BUMAGAPJsDaw%3D%3D"]pictures[/url]

Original thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=55996&hl=back&st=0"]here[/url]

I used it to record the song "secret steps" available [url="http://www.thelostcavalry.com/index.php?page=music"]here[/url] (probably not the best example of its capabilities)

Since owning the bass it hasn't been outside the music room or studio.

Now, I'm based in London and don't really want to post this thing, but will if I have to. I'm completely open to trades, with cash going either way, or a straight sale – you can see I bought it for £1200 in August 2010. I think Ricky prices have probably moved a bit since then but not by much.

Edited by odub

Lovely bass - I hummed and ha-ed about this when HJ owned it until it was to late....... :)

Not been too much interest in my 4003FL; I think bassists looking for a fretless just don't think of Rickenbacker, and bassists looking for a Rick don't tend to be also looking for a fretless. Which is a damn shame, as they make fantastic fretlesses; a core tone I've not heard in any other, with the bonus of being one of the best looking basses on the planet.

Bump for a fab vintage Rick! :)

Hey,

You might be right, I think its uniqueness was one of the things that attracted me to it, but it does put it slightly into the niche market on the wrong side of 1K.
To be honest I’m in no particular rush to sell it, my ideal would be someone to come up with an interesting trade which would give me a new toy to play with for a while. I suspect the right thing to do is keep hold of if for quite a few years and ensure it keeps its condition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1218930' date='May 3 2011, 06:04 PM']Lovely bass - I hummed and ha-ed about this when HJ owned it until it was to late....... :)

Not been too much interest in my 4003FL; I think bassists looking for a fretless just don't think of Rickenbacker, and bassists looking for a Rick don't tend to be also looking for a fretless. Which is a damn shame, as they make fantastic fretlesses; a core tone I've not heard in any other, with the bonus of being one of the best looking basses on the planet.

Bump for a fab vintage Rick! :lol:[/quote]

Amen to that. I hit Jack with a PM about this bass about a day after he sold it to you Odub. I then got lucky and bought a new 4003 fretless Ric body/neck, built it, loved it, sold it to Greg (Shaggy), traded it back, and it's not leaving again!

In other words, keep it. Nothing you'll get in trade offers will really match it, it's a totally unique and wonderful instrument, and IMO one of the most versatile fretless instruments available. And in saying that, I'm comparing it with Wal, Sadowsky, and Modulus, not Fender!

Keep it keep it keep it. We could form the BCFROC, likely to remain the smallest sub-club on BC :)

• 3 weeks later...