Why become a member? ×

Recommend a cheap mixer

steviedee

The drummer in my band ironically plays loud as f*** but the poor geezer also suffers from tinitus so he is setting up a headphone monitoring system with a couple of PZMs and an out from the bass amp, into a little mixer

I quite fancy using this as well however, i'd like to have my own mix as he is going for super quiet and I wouldn't mind boosting the bass a bit, so I reckoned I could maybe have my own mix if I bought a wee cheap mixer, took a mixed signal from his mixer and added a little more bass in my mix.

I have two pre amps so I could take separate signals.

Any recommendations?

One of the Soundcraft spirit folio range or similar would suit.
I`ve used these desks for in ear mixes, clicktrak feeds, rehearsal/recording monitor mixes etc.
There are a lot of mini desks about, but most have poor aux facilities.
Depending on what you needed, as well as the drummer you could do this:
Spirit notepad /Tapco/mackie/peavey even the dreaded behringer. eg, 4 mic inputs two line..
Inputs....
Two pzm mics for general ambience/kit/room.
2x cable splitters to provide separate signals from the main vox and the kick mic gives you the essentials, then use the line ins for a split from your bass rig and perhaps a split from the guitar.
That`s the inputs taken care of.
Outputs
Does the drummer want stereo? if so he simply mixes the total into his headphones, prob no amp needed (depending on volume, ohmage of headphones etc).pan the PZMs wide, kick and vox in the middle,guitar off to whatever side he is relative to drummer, bass off to the opposite side.
Your mix will have to come from the one pre-fade MONO aux on the desk, (it has another post fade for FX).So no panning for you.
Take the aux out to the input of your spare preamp, EQ it and headphones out for you.
You can control the general level of your mix from the aux master out, and the Preamp in/out,(prob more handy)
For simples, just tape the preamp out and bass gtr cables together so the h/phones cable socket ended up on your strap near the straplock.
Another option is a cheap in ear wireless system by LD or similar.
Prob approximate cost £50min £150 max.
MM

Edited by Monckyman

I know this aint what you want to hear as a recommendation but tell him to get some decent musicians headphones before investing in an in ear monitoring system, the marked reduction in volume helps with clarity, and the added bonus of not going deaf.

[quote name='Ross' post='1218465' date='May 3 2011, 11:53 AM']I know this aint what you want to hear as a recommendation but tell him to get some decent musicians headphones before investing in an in ear monitoring system, the marked reduction in volume helps with clarity, and the added bonus of not going deaf.[/quote]

Yeah it's not really in ears I was going to get a set of Direct Sound Headphones EX-29 which are noise isolating headphones, and just use the mixer to get a sound I want.

Wanna avoid the deafness!

Cheers for the suggestions Monckyman very helpful.