Why become a member? ×

Multieffects decision dilemma

Matthews2250

Hello chaps,

I have a dilemma on my hands: I have finally come into enough money to solve my desire for a multieffects (I was going to go down the stomp route but I'm leaning towards the versatility of multis). Question is - which one?

I've narrowed it down to a Line 6 M13 or a GT-10B I think - but I just cannot decide which will better suit me.

Currently I have an Ashdown Drive Plus and a Markbass Compressore - the Drive Plus doesn't like my active bass so I need something that has serviceable drives and fuzzes to replace that, but I would like to keep the Compressore in my chain.

What do you guys think would fit the bill?

Thanks for any input!

(edit: my budget stretches to around £450 so if there's an in-budget alternative - I'm all ears)

Edited by Matthews2250

Instead of getting rid of your Ashdown overdrive, why not get a Variable Impendence Buffer, which would allow it to work better with Active Basses (see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1261"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1261[/url] for further reading).

From what I have read, the Line 6 M9/13 are both brilliant for all modulation/delay/filter needs, but lack a little in the gain department for Bass players, hence why many chain the M9 with other stomps.

However, if you are set on getting a multi which will do everything, it does sound like the GT-10B would fit the bill - very powerful, especially with its' parallel chains, amp modelling and a variety of inputs/outputs.

Like any wisened guru may suggest though; try before you buy if at all possible! Also, have a read here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30341"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30341[/url], it's pinned right at the top of this forum and has the answers to pretty much all questions regarding multi-effects pedals.

Hope that's some help!

Edited by EskimoBassist

I used to have the boss gt6-b and looked hard at the gt10, but I use the zoom b9.1ut. It's instant switching beat the boss stuff for me. The valve preamp and two way way pedal helped too!! I've never looked back since switching from separate pedals. It really is an outstanding multi effect. It has it's own switchable fx loop too for adding other pedals.

Variable Impedance Buffers look interesting, I can't see any commercially available - am I just looking in the wrong places?

I had a look through the sticky a few times - it's what put me on to the M13 (I hadn't heard of them previously). My understanding is that I would need quite a long time sitting down with the GT-10B to make sense of it while the M13 has a more 'plug and play' quality about it which might have an influence on what I get out of either of them in a shop - so some impartial (or otherwise) input would be great.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1216819' date='May 1 2011, 07:46 PM']I used to have the boss gt6-b and looked hard at the gt10, but I use the zoom b9.1ut. It's instant switching beat the boss stuff for me. The valve preamp and two way way pedal helped too!! I've never looked back since switching from separate pedals. It really is an outstanding multi effect. It has it's own switchable fx loop too for adding other pedals.[/quote]

I have an old Zoom 607 knocking about somewhere which I never really got on with - it felt and sounded cheap, which undoubtedly it was, but it makes me suspicious of anything made by them. Also really hard to find good demo's of the thing! Are there any decent comparisons about?

The envelope filters in the M9 are frustrating - no sensitivity control on any of them. Don't buy it for the filters.

It's useful for delays, pitch shifting, digital sort of stuff, the dirt in there is pretty good too, generally. There's not a massive choice of modulation effects though, and the effects that are there often seem a bit too... specific. They aim to capture the character of well-known effects but you might not find a good generic effect in amongst the historic models.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1221152' date='May 5 2011, 03:12 PM']There's not a massive choice of modulation effects though, and the effects that are there often seem a bit too... specific. They aim to capture the character of well-known effects but you might not find a good generic effect in amongst the historic models.[/quote]

I definitely agree with these ideas regarding modulation, I've just been fortunate enough to like the models on offer and tweaked them to fine-tune my sound. The tri-chorus has frustrated me though. It's very almost the sound I want but I can't tweak it to perfection :s