Why become a member? ×

Cleaning double bass strings - advice needed

jbn4001

Hi all. I've googled (and searched forum) this and also asked my teacher .. and it seems isopropanol alcohol is the way to go (taking care not to get it anywhere but the strings) [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/ISOPROPANOL-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-9-Litre/dp/B003D8QFR8/ref=pd_cp_ce_2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/ISOPROPANOL-Isopro.../ref=pd_cp_ce_2[/url]

BUT I don't have any right now.. gonna take a few days to arrive if ordered online.

So..please does anyone have any alternatives for cleaning db strings (steel) , preferably while leaving them on the bass?

The strings are becoming greasy, despite washing hands before playing and wiping strings with dry cloth afterwards. Tried soap and water on strings too. Didn't work!

I've been using surgical spirit for a few years now; can't remember who advised me to do this, but it was a seasoned player at the time. Works well for me, with the added advantage of making the house smell kinda like a hospital! :)

meths is good too.
any of the above ideas are fine as long as your fingerboard isn't stained with spirit based dye!

If you only play pizz, you can use fret mate or similar. but avoid the bowing area if you use a bow.

There are also dedicated string cleaners available (royal oak do one, and i'm prety sure there's a Hill one.)

As for rosin, just don't let it build up. if you keep on top of it with a dry duster (removing as soon as it starts to build up) (if you use soft rosin, this could be every 1/2 hour of playing!) it'll never be a problem. Again, if you've a rosin build up on the strings/undyed fingerboard to clear, Meths is yur friend!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all in this thread for the advice. I did check Maplins for the isopropanol .. but they only sold it in HUGE containers for £15. I did order a 250ml bottle of the stuff for something silly like £3 (inc postage) via a 3rd party seller on Amazon. I dab a bit on a cloth and clean the strings. Seems to work well.. gets rid of grease like I wanted.

I reckon all the tips here would work well but got me the ispropanol now which should last me for ages.

Cheers,
Jason

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1235372' date='May 18 2011, 10:52 AM']My kids violin teacher recommends the medical type alcohol wipes for cleaning rosin from violin strings ( you know the ones you use pre-injection ?? Luckily I have a small supply as I need a weekly injection for my arthritis ) .

Probably available from a chemist ??
S[/quote]