Why become a member? ×

Filling old pickup routes

I have some rather large holes in my p bass from when i installed a 51 p type pickup in the neck. I used the sawdust and pva route, but its kinda crappy looking. And i plan on rerouting the pickup slots, and refinishing.

Whats the best option for filling pickup sized holes in a bass, as well as an extender control cavity?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1215281' date='Apr 29 2011, 08:16 PM']It's gotta be wood if you are routing it out again.[/quote]
intit. stick your over sized bit of wood on some mdf, carpet tape straight edged mdf squares around it, remove said wood, rout out the centre using bearing guided bit, voila, template. tape template over desired area. rout the sucker out, brush a bit of wood glue round the sides and bottom, whack it in and rout it flush. job done.

Edited by lettsguitars

I used Isopon P38 car body filler for a £100 musicmaster I repainted eleven years years ago. I'm sure a nice bit of alder would have been better, but I'd have made a mess of it, having neither the tools, patience, skills or suitable piece of wood.

This was under the pickguard and I sprayed the bass a solid colour, so it was easy to hide and with the pickguard off the repair cannot be seen.

I've never had anyone complain about the bass sounding less 'woody'. :)