Why become a member? ×

Orange BT1000H opinions?

OzzyGreg

Hi guys, newbie here.

I'm interested in the Orange BT1000H.
Unfortunately I don't think they have made there way here (Orstralia) yet, so i can't check one out for myself.

Has anyone here in the forum got/tried one?
What do you think?

I've read of the BT500H getting muddy/distorted at high volumes and losing some of its tonal qualities.
Is this still the case with the 1000?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Greg

Having had a Terror 500, I can`t imagine needing more clean power than it posesses. I used mine into a Marshall VBC 412 cab, and for punk gigs (Pistols/Clash/Sham etc) in pubs of 100/150 capacity, I used to have both the Gain and Volume on 2. Any louder, say 4 - which I tried once, just for fun, to see how it would sound - and it completely over-ran the sound of the other instruments, 2 gtrs & drums.

It does get distorted with the Gain on anything more than 2/3, but as Mr Foxen said, swapping the pre-amp valves will give more leeway before the distortion sets in.

Got the 500w, yet to find a practical use for anything past half volume, 1000w is a waste of money unless you want to play a massive venue with no PA support (which you wouldn't want to unless you are clinically insane and/or deaf).

Changing the preamp tubes for something with a bit less gain transforms this amp, no mud whatsoever. 500w for the win!

Edited by garethfriend

Thanks for the feedback/input guys, I have taken it all on board.

[quote name='garethfriend' post='1216234' date='Apr 30 2011, 11:11 PM']Got the 500w, yet to find a practical use for anything past half volume, 1000w is a waste of money unless you want to play a massive venue with no PA support (which you wouldn't want to unless you are clinically insane and/or deaf).

Changing the preamp tubes for something with a bit less gain transforms this amp, no mud whatsoever. 500w for the win![/quote]

garethfriend,
Interesting. What cabinet/s do you run with the 500?

Greg

Edited by OzzyGreg

[quote name='OzzyGreg' post='1216363' date='May 1 2011, 09:43 AM']Thanks for the feedback/input guys, I have taken it all on board.

garethfriend,
Interesting. What cabinet/s do you run with the 500?

Greg[/quote]

I've got a barefaced vintage 2 x 15, it is a very sensitive cab (would handle the 1000w version too), about equivalent to 2 of the compact 1 x 15s that they make. I have played it through a few other cabs though and it has been impressivley loud through pretty much everything. What are you thinking of putting it through?

attachment=78835:3_x_twin..._box_rig.jpg][quote name='garethfriend' post='1216957' date='May 1 2011, 10:09 PM']I've got a barefaced vintage 2 x 15, it is a very sensitive cab (would handle the 1000w version too), about equivalent to 2 of the compact 1 x 15s that they make. I have played it through a few other cabs though and it has been impressivley loud through pretty much everything. What are you thinking of putting it through?[/quote]

I have a trio of 2x10s (130 watts each driver) that I'm not entirely happy with yet. I'm trying to sort out their lack of volume. If I can nail that then I'll use them.

[attachment=78835:3_x_twin..._box_rig.jpg][

The Marshall VBC 412 that I put my OTB 500 through had similar performance, volume-wise, to my Ampeg cabs, SVT 410HE (98db sensitivity) and SVT 210HE (97db).

And as I said in my previous post, it was insanely loud through the Marshall. So if you put it through cabs with higher sensitivity than the above, that will be hugely loud, as per garethfriend with the Barefaced Vintage.