Why become a member? ×

Bluesy-Jazzy Turnarounds

Bloodaxe

Specifically Boz Scaggs' "Runnin' Blues"

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/Runnin%27%20Blues.pdf"][b]PDF - Notation Only[/b][/url]

Finally got around to jotting this thing down. I've just done the 12 bars that comprise Verse 2 – Bars 11 & 12 of which are really the subject of this post (I’ve left out all the little grace notes etc. to keep it down to the basics.)

The video is the studio version, but, as my script comes from Live Greatest Hits album, there are slight differences, but nothing really significant.

It’s a common enough jazz/blues progression across the 12 bars, but is there a shorthand term for it? Especially for the turnaround in the last two bars?

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Learned this stuff about 20 years ago at the Bass Institute... but can't remember the details anymore, I just play the notes in my head these days!

The turnaround is very common but doesn't have a name as far as I can remember, I've a feeling you may have added some extra chords to the progression in a couple of places where it's more about chromatic approaches than substitutions.

So still Finnbass 1 - Basschat 0 unless Finnbass have scored again in the meantime.

Hopefully someone like Bilbo will be along to put one in the back of the net.

Edit: It's all to do with Tritone substitution I think [url="http://www.apassion4jazz.net/tritone.html"]http://www.apassion4jazz.net/tritone.html[/url]

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1214223' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:26 PM']So, I've been staring at it semi-vacantly for a bit & put it into Numbers:

1/4/1/1/4/b4/1, b7/6/2/5/1, 6/2, 5

Does that make any sense?

A 6-2-5-1-6-2-5 Turnaround? Bit of a mouthful that, is there a more succinct way of calling it?[/quote]
well if i'm not mistaken a 6-2-5 is a 2-5-1 just aiming at the fifth, so 6-2-5-1 is just a double 251, and the final 5 on that sequence aims at the 1 on the first bar. Of course, knowing that is the easy step, turning the knowledge into something musical is where I struggle.

Thanks for the further input, people. After Extra Time I reckon it's a score-draw

Finnbass 1 - 1 Basschat

Doddy, try as I might I can't hear it in the one & only recording of 'Blue Monk' I own (a live one), I'm not doubting you in the least, it's far more likely that I don't yet know how the progression sounds outside of a very constrained box - it may well be "standard" to you, but to me it's largely Terra Incognita. (I tried 'I Got Rhythm' as well, but that seems to be universally played at 900 mph so it was all a bit of a blur tbh.)

I need a few 'Janet & John'/'Spot The Dog' examples to expand my Blues vocabulary. To that end, I'll turf out my Best Of Big Joe Turner CD - everything he ever did seems to have a 251 turnaround in it.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe