Why become a member? ×

Driver confusion

squire5

[quote name='Merton' post='1217625' date='May 2 2011, 03:09 PM']The "Trace Elliot" branded speakers were made by Celestion :)[/quote]

True fact! :)

I still don't think a 5'er could damage a 4x10" with it's low B... i know for fact the original Trace/Celestion drivers wouldn't be bother with the extra low-end! I've played a lot with my 5'er through a Trace head and 2x10" cab! Maybe those Eminence aren't suposed to cope with the low freqs... (i haven't searched these drivers specs so correct me if i'm wrong) :lol:

[quote name='squire5' post='1217517' date='May 2 2011, 01:42 PM']I still think that since starting to use the Squier P5,that this has been a major contributor to the problem.I use the low 'B' quite a lot,so having the 15" will actually cushion,or help to cushion the wear and tear on the 4x10.Time will tell,I guess.[/quote]
Whether you use a 1x15, 2x10 or another 4x10 with your existing cab, it's still gonna get the exact same amount of bass to it. Adding a 15" wont cushion anything but it will do the following (& maybe more) things, 1) make everything louder as you'll be moving more air & thus won't need to turn it up so far. 2) cancel out certain frequencies due to different sized drivers putting out different sized soundwaves (Sometimes has a positive effect, often has a negative effect).
Your new 10" drivers should be able to handle whatever you're throwing at them & I really doubt that your low B will harm them at all. But do let your ears be the judge of that.