Why become a member? ×

Using a Hipshot D-tuner on the low B string

geilerbass

I've recently joined a very progressive and technical metal band who have a penchant for using dropped A tuning (de-tuning the low B down a full step) as well as standard tuning. It's not really going to be practical to keep swapping basses, so I wondered if anyone could advise me as to whether fitting a Hipshot D-Tuner to my low B would be a good idea?

Has anyone else tried this? I've never used a D-Tuner before, so don't know if they're even any good on the E-String.

BTW I have an Ibanez Soundgear bass - does anyone know if you can get D-Tuners that fit to the SR's Gotoh style machine heads?

Many thanks in advance...

Should be fine
The trick is when taking the Xtender lever back UP add some tension to the string
by pulling the string out with your right hand around the the neck join.
This will ensure the string is in tune. Dropping down is usually OK

This should be the one [url="http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=72"]HIPSHOT GB7[/url]

Thanks for the prompt responses!

I'll have to see how much I can score one of those GB7s for - if it's not too pricey, it'd be worth giving it a (hip)shot. But I agree that it shouldn't be too much hassle to re-tune between songs... unless they decide to segue between songs. You know what these prog types are like!