Why become a member? ×

Epiphany moment re bass/band/sound/etc

Lozz196

My epiphany moment was in Feb this year. My band had split, and I was considering selling the Ampeg stack that I`d managed to resource, a stack that I`d always coveted, as to me, Ampeg, when matched with a Fender Precision, are simply the best when it comes to bass. It was heavy though, hence considering the sale.

Anyway, I went to see a band play, and this was it. My last band (and all the bands before, come to think of it) had been bands with 4x12s for the guitars, and me with a stack, at least 1x15 & 2x10, but more recently a 4x12, or a 2x10 & 4x10. But this band, the guitarist had a 2x12 combo, and the bassist putting his amp through just one 4x10 cab, and they sounded great - the sound was so full, but not overbearing. Sharp, defined, yet bags of presence.

It reinforced my sell the Ampeg thoughts, so I did. Now have just the one Eden Nemesis 4x10 cab (52 lbs, so fairly light), with my TC Electronic Classic 450 amp. Still have the same sound (virtually) but much less backache.

Anyone else had a similar revelation?

I`ve not put this topic in Amps, as it`s not really an Amp Topic, for example, as the revelation may be always loved Precisions, then found that the Jazz was in fact the right bass for you, after years of playing.

Edited by Lozz196

Depending on the venue in question, I'm always put off by bands that have too big a setup for the size of the room. The tendency is to crank it up but all that ends up happening is that you get this wall of sound where nothing has it's place in a live mix situation, and the vocal gets totally drowned. It's nice like you say to have that epiphany whereby you realise that not all of that is totally necessary!

Edited by risingson

[quote name='risingson' post='1211932' date='Apr 26 2011, 07:15 PM']Depending on the venue in question, I'm always put off by bands that have too big a setup for the size of the room. The tendency is to crank it up but all that ends up happening is that you get this wall of sound where nothing has it's place in a live mix situation, and the vocal gets totally drowned.[/quote]

With you on that one! Loz - I've a Nemesis 4 x 10 and love it, but for most pub gigs now I just use an old Trace 200w head and an Aguillar DB112 - amazingly loud and deep for something so small! You sorted for a band now?

Col

Nothing finalised yet Col. I depped for a band last week, and they were sufficiently impressed to now be considering two bassists in the same band. This result achieved without either threats or bribes, I might add :)

I had been just hibernating, but with the decent weather emerging, I`ve realised how much free time I have, so now starting to have a look about.