Why become a member? ×

Getting the most out of a Session Drummer

ras52

I'm going to be playing on some recordings shortly with a session drummer. Since I'm "the theoretical one", I've started thinking about what notation materials etc we could prepare so as to hit the ground running as far as possible. The band is fairly standard two-guitar/bass/vocal rock, but with some interesting moments with shifting accents which won't fly with just a basic 4/4 backbeat throughout.

So far I've written down some bass+snare patterns to use as a starting point. I'm wondering how to present the structure of the songs. What does a drum chart look like? I'm not planning to write out a fully notated part, so I'm imagining there's a drummer's equivalent of a chord chart.

I know there are a few drummers on here - what would you like to be presented with on a session? And/or, is there a drummer's equivalent of BC where I can ask this question?

Thanks!
Richard

[quote name='ras52' post='1211685' date='Apr 26 2011, 03:21 PM']...I know there are a few drummers on here - what would you like to be presented with on a session? And/or, is there a drummer's equivalent of BC where I can ask this question?...[/quote]Good evening, Richard...
You may be inspired by the contents of this thread...
[url="http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/formal-sheet-music-drum-20628.html?t=20628"]DrumChat, thread about scores etc...[/url]
...on Drum Chat. It may help. Read through, and post further questions there if necessary...
Hope this helps...

[quote name='Dad3353' post='1211793' date='Apr 26 2011, 04:36 PM']Good evening, Richard...
You may be inspired by the contents of this thread...
[url="http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/formal-sheet-music-drum-20628.html?t=20628"]DrumChat, thread about scores etc...[/url]
...on Drum Chat. It may help. Read through, and post further questions there if necessary...
Hope this helps...[/quote]
Thanks, Dad! ;-)

Just what I was looking for... The images of the drummer's crib sheets look like good templates to follow... and who would have thought that the drum equivalent of BassChat would be DrumChat?!?!

[quote name='ras52' post='1211871' date='Apr 26 2011, 07:16 PM']...and who would have thought that the drum equivalent of BassChat would be DrumChat?!?![/quote]
You're welcome, Richard. Those that play bass [i]and [/i]drums ([i]no, not at the same time, you fool..![/i]) are 'plugged in' to several forums (or is that 'fora'..?), and more yet (jazz guitar, valve amps etc...). I practice all, which makes me expert in none..! :)
Good luck with your sessions; you may like to let us know how things pan out..?