Why become a member? ×

Isn't it ironic.....?

Grassie

No, I'm not talking about Alan-is-a-Marmoset, but the fact that my current band which I have been playing with for the past 6 years is coming to an end (final gig on Friday 29th April), and I've just discovered what [i]could[/i] be the perfect tone from my set-up.
After playing a MIM Jazz through a Hartke HA4000 + VX 4x10 cab for the past 3 years, we had our last rehearsal last night, and as we all know the set list inside out, I thought I'd have a little play with the EQ on the head. Wound the "D-Bass" right back, knocked the top end on the amp back to flat, turned everything up on the bass and played most of the set with a .46 pick.
Well, scratch my scrotum with a space shuttle! I finally managed to cut through 2 "git"-arists and our drummer, with a tone that remained "creamy". Never been much of a pick player, but, as we play a lot of modern rock (Foos, Green Day, KOL etc.) I've found it necessary to use one on occasion, but have always used a 1.52 pick. I've found that the .46 gives a clearer "bite" and has more give than a 1.52, making up-down strokes easier and more defined. I've always preferred to go fingerstyle since taking up the bass in 1994, as I'm a big fan of the FONK and players like Flea and Mark King to name but two, but have struggled in the past year or so to get a consistent tone using just fingers on songs that require constant eighths or sixteenths (I used to play along to a lot of Michael Anthony's later stuff with Van Halen as well), and I also started to get problems in my wrist from playing our material using fingers, so it looks like I might well be using a pick almost exclusively in the future, as I can get pretty FONKY with a pick as well! :)
So I just thought I'd share that with ya! If you're struggling with your tone or fancy a change, just completely change your playing style! Works for me! :)