Why become a member? ×

need advice

badboy1984

Hi guys, I needed some advice here.

Which mic can get the job done better for capturing the whole band sound in a rehearsal room.

I've got a macbook pro with garageband.

Here is the omni mic i been looking at so far:

1) Samson go Mic (£40)
2) Samson C03 USB (£83-£99)
3) Samson C03 (£59) and is a standard XLR mic

I've got around £150 to spend so I need to spend the money wisely to do the job.

With the Samson go Mic is cheap and it claim it can capture the band room sound.

The samson C03 is a better version of the go mic due to the quality different for both.

With the USB mic i can just plug straight into the laptop and adjust the mic position in room to get good sound.

With the standard XLR C03 i need to buy a small usb mixer to record onto the PC.

Not sure shall I buy the usb mixer and the standard XLR C03 or buy either the USB condenser. Consider i will do some solo recording at home, so maybe buy the XLR C03 and the mixer? or Go Mic plus mixer?

Get a Zoom H2 :)

Its a great recorder and you don't need a lap top to record. It really is a great piece of kit and at around £140 ish its good value for money.

i got one for recording rehearsals a few weeks back and i'm really impressed.

Jas

[quote name='Bigjas' post='1211217' date='Apr 25 2011, 09:05 PM']Get a Zoom H2 :)

Its a great recorder and you don't need a lap top to record. It really is a great piece of kit and at around £140 ish its good value for money.

i got one for recording rehearsals a few weeks back and i'm really impressed.

Jas[/quote]

2nd!!! Zoom H2 is amazing. I have one and use it to record practices and also sfx for composition/film work. Very good quality of recordings. Good price, loads of good features, small and compact. Buy one! :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='boywonder' post='1211220' date='Apr 25 2011, 09:11 PM']2nd!!! Zoom H2 is amazing. I have one and use it to record practices and also sfx for composition/film work. Very good quality of recordings. Good price, loads of good features, small and compact. Buy one! :)[/quote]

Hi Chaps (Zoom H2 users)

Our drummer bought one of these about 6 weeks ago, it's still in its box, never used it :lol: To be fair, he's a bit of a non-techie and I think he's afraid of it.

Do those of you that use it have to do loads of tweaking and playing with settings or is it really just a case of using the default settings and finding a suitable spot in the rehearsal room / gig to place it?

Does anyone have some samples of the recording results they would be willing to post?

Oggy :)

Oggy

You just turn it on, select what mic setup you want, and press record :)

It is a really easy bit of kit to use, setting up the mic is just pressing a button to scroll through 4 settings. i use the '2ch' setting as it pics up sound from all directions. just place the H2 in the middle of the room with all amps facing it and away you go. I use the mic stand adapter to hold the H2. You can st the recording level to what ever you want, just follow the easy to use manual.

The quality of the recording is great, not what you expect from such a cheap and small unit.

HTH

Jas

[quote name='Bigjas' post='1223616' date='May 7 2011, 08:09 PM']Oggy

You just turn it on, select what mic setup you want, and press record :)

It is a really easy bit of kit to use, setting up the mic is just pressing a button to scroll through 4 settings. i use the '2ch' setting as it pics up sound from all directions. just place the H2 in the middle of the room with all amps facing it and away you go. I use the mic stand adapter to hold the H2. You can st the recording level to what ever you want, just follow the easy to use manual.

The quality of the recording is great, not what you expect from such a cheap and small unit.

HTH

Jas[/quote]

Thanks Jas

Drummer is handing over the device to me on Thuesday - I'll has a look at the manual and give it a go the following week.

Oggy :)

Go here:-

[url="http://www.invisiblelandscapes.co.uk/lh_music.html"]http://www.invisiblelandscapes.co.uk/lh_music.html[/url]

The first two tracks I tracked the drums with a Zoom H4n and a couple of reasonable dynamic mics.

The H2 is just a two track version

Enough said....