Why become a member? ×

Replacement pickups for old Fender P

unclespats

Hi - I've got a 1976 Fender P, but I am finding that the gain when I play the D and G strings is much less then from the E and A strings. I have messed with different EQ but can't seem to get a reasonable balance (I have a Fishman compressor/EQ and going through an Ampeg SVT3 Pro). It has been suggested that the pick ups on the mid 70's Fender P's were not so hot and it might be nest to replace them. Has anyone any comments/recomendations to make?

Tks in advance

Send them off to Wizard or someone equally good for a test and a possible rewind for the weaker coil (or both if necessary). I had a pre-CBS PUP rewound to original Fender spec (via Bass Doc on here), and it sounded way better than I could have anticipated

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1203779' date='Apr 18 2011, 04:40 PM']Send them off to Wizard or someone equally good for a test and a possible rewind for the weaker coil (or both if necessary). I had a pre-CBS PUP rewound to original Fender spec (via Bass Doc on here), and it sounded way better than I could have anticipated

C[/quote]

Great - thanks for the tip!

[quote name='unclespats' post='1203772' date='Apr 18 2011, 04:30 PM']Hi - I've got a 1976 Fender P, but I am finding that the gain when I play the D and G strings is much less then from the E and A strings. I have messed with different EQ but can't seem to get a reasonable balance (I have a Fishman compressor/EQ and going through an Ampeg SVT3 Pro). It has been suggested that the pick ups on the mid 70's Fender P's were not so hot and it might be nest to replace them. Has anyone any comments/recomendations to make?

Tks in advance[/quote]

And you have tried lowering the coil for the EA strings, I take it?

If you haven't, I'd try that first, lowering more from the E side than the A. Having split pickups like that, adjustable for height and inclination, helps a lot to get the right string-string balance. I'd work with that before buying new pickups... but it's so basic, you have probably done this already, am I right?