Why become a member? ×

Yamaha NE-1 'Nathan East' Parametric Equalizer *SOLD*

mcnach

In case it's not clear when I say "one of these units"... the one in the picture is the actual unit I have, and the picure was taken this morning. The blob on the bottom right is not a blemish, but the reflection of my lamp. This thing is like a mirror :)

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='1205034' date='Apr 19 2011, 06:12 PM']hey hiya matey,
Would this be useful to add midrange to a bass sound?
like a ebs preamp pedal?

kindest regards
ziggy.[/quote]

Sort of, yes and no.
The frequency profile is actually a trough. The deep & shallow modes select just how deep, and the allows you to sweep over a wide range of frequencies. But as well as reducing frequencies around the Q, it boosts around them. It sounds a bit counter-intuitive... but if you use it with your ears, forgetting about the shape of the graph, you find sweet spots where it gives you that extra bit of either low end, or presence, or fat, or... (depending on the Q control).
Looking at the graph I thought it would not work, but got one based on reviews... and it does help tighten the sound and find a sweet spot to give you a more focused and cutting tone.
I'm just not using it because I find with the John East preamps this unit is a bit redundant and it just adds more complications (more places to weak).