Why become a member? ×

Rackmount Tuners

TomKent

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1196759' date='Apr 12 2011, 01:21 PM']I think my point is the Korg is more than good enough for most bass players of course some people with different set ups may need the Peterson but I'd say 99% don't.[/quote]

Agreed. A Peterson is definitely something I could live without. However the advice about just getting a good floor tuner sounds good

This has been an interesting read as i'm after a rack tuner soon. My Korg DT-3 tuner (normal style) has lasted ages and it's great but I think i'll save a little longer and get the Peterson. Strangely the tuner I downloaded for my iphone is to fine point more accurate than my Korg lol.

Edited by DaveB

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1195680' date='Apr 11 2011, 01:24 PM']The Behringer rack tuner won't track low notes properly. It's fine for guitar (given the normal limitations of Behringer kit - ie you bin it when it eventually breaks) but it will struggle to recognise the A and E (and lower) strings on a bass.

If you have the cash the best rack tuner is the [url="http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=73&sub=66"]Peterson Strobo Rack[/url].[/quote]

I've never tried one of their rack tuners but I've had a Behringer foot pedal tuner for a while and never had any problen tracking, though I'm only a 4 stringer so never tried it on a low B for instance. I tend to tune my E string playing A on the 5th fret anyway just out of habit but it will track an open string E as well as any other pedal I've tried.

[quote name='KevB' post='1197041' date='Apr 12 2011, 05:09 PM']I've never tried one of their rack tuners but I've had a Behringer foot pedal tuner for a while and never had any problen tracking, though I'm only a 4 stringer so never tried it on a low B for instance. I tend to tune my E string playing A on the 5th fret anyway just out of habit but it will track an open string E as well as any other pedal I've tried.[/quote]

Again, this is where there is a difference in requirements from a tuner. I have numerous people come around with their basses to get me to intonate their basses/guitars on my strobe tuner. I'm in agreement with most tuners being able to do the job - particularly live - but there are some things, such as setting intonation, where it's great to have an uber accurate tuner. You'll struggle to get your intonation spot on if you are fretting along the neck to get your tuner to register. Usint the A on th 5th fret to tune your E string is great... but only if you E string is properly intonated in the first place - otherwise you'll find that your A is in tune but no other note along that string is!

When in the studio, everything goes through the tuner - with the sweeteners on - it makes a difference. I hate hearing out of tune instruments prominent in the mix. Some like it though - maybe for a touch of soul - or whatever you wish to call it. Different strokes for different strokes. Means the devil Antares doesn't get a look in either!

Weigh up what you really need and buy that. The amount of people who buy a rack tuner because it looks pimp and has lights is staggering. I was probably in that camp... but as soon as I find the ideal lightweight head, I'll ditch the rack tuner for the equivalent pedal. I'm all for the ease of carrying and loading stuff nowadays. I haven't got anybody to do it for me anymore! The lighter you make your rack, the better. If you can make it just your head in a rack case, even better.

Also, I've got a Furman conditioner in my rack. Does it do anything? Nah. Just adds dead weight and size to the rack that I could with out to be honest! Thought it would look pimp and would improve something. In reality, it doesn't improve anything, gives you a faint glow to your rack... and is an unnecessary weight.

Oh, and you'll get a sh1t hot, portable pedal tuner for €150 or an "ok" rack tuner for the same money.

Edited by EBS_freak