Why become a member? ×

Fender Buying Tips

JayPH

Hi Guys

I'm in a strange position of having to exchange an Ibanez SR 500 bass because the finish was very flimsy and damaging far too easily for my playing style.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a Fender Jazz Bass and was wondering if anyone had any advice to give me before I embark tomorrow.

I loved the Ibanez neck it was really easy to play so I'm guessing the Jazz Bass will be similar with it's narrower neck.

In saying that, I know the shop has the Roger Waters P-Bass and I'm a sucker for old Roger so I'm not ruling anything out.

My absolutely maximum budget would be £800

Thanks Guys

John

Definately worth checking out the Classic Series - they do a 60s and a 70s version. 70s version has the bridge pickup slightly nearer the bridge, bound rosewood neck, with blocks - looks absolutely great.

I had one of the 70s ones, but ultimately, I`m a Precision man, and don`t get on with the sounds of a Jazz, but the quality of the Classic range can`t be denied.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1193193' date='Apr 8 2011, 07:23 PM']Definately worth checking out the Classic Series - they do a 60s and a 70s version. 70s version has the bridge pickup slightly nearer the bridge, bound rosewood neck, with blocks - looks absolutely great.

I had one of the 70s ones, but ultimately, I`m a Precision man, and don`t get on with the sounds of a Jazz, but the quality of the Classic range can`t be denied.[/quote]

I dont own, but have played a few from this range, Loved the 70's classic, was between that and an ibanez when i was an amateur and because of the £300 price difference ended up being a cheap bastard and settling for the ibanez, which proved to be the worst musical mistake i ever made, hence now why i have a grudge against all things ibanez,

but it sounded so good in the shop... sigh.

As for the 60's one, definitely a warmer tone quality to it, thats probably got something to do with what you were saying about pickup spacing from the bridge etc. This one i likes a lot better than the 70's,

But both are good and represent reasonable value for money, especially if you can get hold of a preowned one.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I loved the Ibanez but the finish was very fragile.

I googled Fender Jazz Bass Classic and I really liked the look of them. Especially the 60's Jazz Bass. but they don't seem to have any in Dawsons. That's where I have to shop.

Could you have a squint here and tell me if I'm dong it wrong:

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/Fender_Bass_Guitars.html"]http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/Fender_Bass_Guitars.html[/url]

Lozz196 What is it you like more about the P-Bass? What style of music do you play mainly?

Thanks

J

If thats where you absolutely have to shop,
I would suggest emailing them asking if they can order you in one specially, Most stores will,

Or if its your local store go in and personally ask them, they usually require around a 10% deposit, But as with any bass youre probably better off going and trying one somewhere first or you might not like it in the end,
As decent as the quality is of these "classic series" Fenders is.

Edited by son of frog

[quote name='son of frog' post='1193240' date='Apr 8 2011, 08:05 PM']If thats where you absolutely have to shop,
I would suggest emailing them asking if they can order you in one specially, Most stores will,

Or if its your local store go in and personally ask them, they usually require around a 10% deposit, But as with any bass youre probably better off going and trying one somewhere first or you might not like it in the end,
As decent as the quality is of these "classic series" Fenders is.[/quote]

Yeah Stuck to Dawsons mate via a Crdit Note. Long story

Waddya reckon to the Fender American Special Jazz Bass? Would it be a similar beast? They have a few of them in

I havent had a chance to try one of those yet,

Im guessing its somewhere between a high end MIM and a standard MIA.

So should be pretty decent, that said i'm sure theres someone on here who can give you more info on that model

I shouldn't try and influence you... But they do have a roger waters P Bass on there decently priced tried that, was lovely,
And The 50's Mexican P Basses :)

Or an aerodyne, But these are all combinations of P Bass pickups... and just me wishing i had more money.
haha

For me, and the Precision, it`s all about the sound. That chunky low-mid sound that just fills out the bottom-end of a song so well.

The music I play is both punk - Pistols/Clash/Sham 69, rock - AC/DC, Buckcherry, and other stuff such as a bit of ska - Specials. The Precision just does all of these so well. Before I played bass, the two bassists whose sound I really liked was Bruce Foxton of The Jam, and JJ Burnell of The Stranglers - both Precision users (tho Bruce Foxton did his early stuff on a Rick, and is therefore usually associated with Ricks).

On its own, the Precision isn`t so nice to the ears as the Jazz, in my opinion, but in a band making a bit of a racket, such as punk & rock, the Precision to me, works better.

I wouldn't get too bogged down into model ranges, as each model ranges will have a certain dogs/gems ratio, as is the Fender way. Best bet is just to try everything that you like the look of, you will no doubt find one that feels right.

I like the look of the American Special series, though a part of me thinks that is a range brought out just so Fender could hike up the price of the American Standards series.

[quote name='JayPH' post='1193234' date='Apr 8 2011, 07:59 PM']Could you have a squint here and tell me if I'm dong it wrong:

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/Fender_Bass_Guitars.html"]http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/Fender_Bass_Guitars.html[/url][/quote]

[quote name='JayPH' post='1193243' date='Apr 8 2011, 08:09 PM']Yeah Stuck to Dawsons mate via a Crdit Note. Long story

Waddya reckon to the Fender American Special Jazz Bass? Would it be a similar beast? They have a few of them in[/quote]

I don't know if you realise or I mis-understood, but this will be the stock list for [i]all[/i] the Dawsons branches nationwide. I went in the Chester branch recently and there were maybe half a dozen Fenders in total.

Son of Frog. Yeah I like the look of the aerodyne too. I will defo give the Roger Waters a blast :)

Lozz, You are a man after my own heart mate :) Love Reggae and SKa.

@Sawtooth Yes mate. You can check the stock and I think my local has some of the American Specials in. DIdn't really want to go that high in price but it should last a lifetime as long as it doesn't get nicked or somthing.

@thodrik I absolutely hate playing basses in shops but I'm going to play as many as I can before they get very annoyed :lol:

Thanks for all the input fellas. I really really like that Candy Apple Red Jazz Special. It's a bit too flash for the likes of me and I'm an Evertonian too but it's fookin Gawjuss

[quote name='JayPH' post='1193333' date='Apr 8 2011, 09:34 PM']@Sawtooth Yes mate. You can check the stock and I think my local has some of the American Specials in. DIdn't really want to go that high in price but it should last a lifetime as long as it doesn't get nicked or somthing.[/quote]

My apologies Sir.

My Top tips are:
-go early (it's Saturday)
-try as much as poss within budget
-don't have any brand preconceptions, -you never know till you try
-take a pen and pad and make notes about prices, thoughts etc. and take some pics
-leave the shop for a cup of tea and a long, hard think!

Enjoy! :)

I have to admit, although I'm not really much of a P-bass guy, I played one of the '50s Precisions last year and thought it was by far the nicest Fender I had played for years. If my memory serves me correctly, the neck felt pretty slim for a P.

I agree that you still seem to get a bit of variation with Fenders, so it's best to find one you like and buy it.

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1193340' date='Apr 8 2011, 09:45 PM']My apologies Sir.

My Top tips are:
-go early (it's Saturday)
-try as much as poss within budget
-don't have any brand preconceptions, -you never know till you try
-take a pen and pad and make notes about prices, thoughts etc. and take some pics
-leave the shop for a cup of tea and a long, hard think!

Enjoy! :)[/quote]

Quality tips my friend.
Yep. Early start for me tomorrow. I think you're right about taking a break too.

Is it a good idea to ask the guys in the shop for recommendations or will they just try to seel you the Monkeys balls/paw of a Bass that they have been trying to shift since the shop opened :lol:

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1193347' date='Apr 8 2011, 10:00 PM']I have to admit, although I'm not really much of a P-bass guy, I played one of the '50s Precisions last year and thought it was by far the nicest Fender I had played for years. If my memory serves me correctly, the neck felt pretty slim for a P.

I agree that you still seem to get a bit of variation with Fenders, so it's best to find one you like and buy it.[/quote]

Cheers mate. It might have been one of the P-Bass specials with the Jazz neck.

I've only just got back into playing bass after a 15 year break and I'm not sure I would know if I was playing a duff :)

When I got the Ibanez I compared it to the standard P bass and standard Jazz Bass and it came out well on top in terms of ease of playing and tone.

Hopefully if I play a few tomorrow one will just feel and sound right right.

Went and played a few basses and really liked the Candy Apple Red Fender Jazz Special but couldn't stomache the colour. Don't get me wrong it was very very nice but as an Evertonian I just wouldn't live it down with my mates so i've ordered the Sunburst:

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/fender-american-special-jazz-bass-3-tone-sunburst-rosewood-neck.html"]http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/fender-a...ewood-neck.html[/url]

Should have it next Tuesday or Friday.

The neck was super slim and the tone was sublime. So much so, that a guy who was shopping for a P-Bass ended up getting an American Deluxe Jazz Bass because the Jazz offered so much more options in tonality.

They also had a very very nice Mexican Classic Jazz bass but the Jazz Special just edged it in terms of quality.

Thanks all for your input, especially to you SawTooth. If I hadn't have gone and had a coffee and a think over I would have bought the Red Bass :)

Cheers fellas

John

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1193908' date='Apr 9 2011, 05:07 PM']Glad to be of some help. :)

Good decision to pick this one over the Mexican Jazz, superior parts, pickups, woods and quality.

American Jazz bass in sunburst - classic choice!

[/quote]

Wow Thanks man. Aint she a Honey :)

I knew I did the right thing :lol: