Why become a member? ×

Gaslighting Abbie - Steely Dan

Higgie

Just finished this:
[url="http://soundcloud.com/higgie142/gaslighting-abbie"]Gaslighting Abbie[/url]

Not perfect, there's a couple syncing issues and the odd bum note. Was just a quick demo thrown together to test out my new Audio Interface (courtesy of chriswilliams666), and the Addictive Drums VSTi in Reaper.

Maple Neck Musicman Stingray 5 with dead strings and a high action. It was recorded direct with no effects added. It badly needs a setup....

Let me know what you think :)

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='1191356' date='Apr 7 2011, 07:34 AM']Sounding very cool matey![/quote]

Cheers Kev!
[quote name='BB3000S' post='1191360' date='Apr 7 2011, 07:42 AM']Really great playing, and I absolutely love the sound of a Stingray with flats-like strings.
Amazing song and delightful bassline as well.[/quote]

Thanks! I don't think it was a particularly good attempt lol. It was late last night, and I was well tired. I had to redo the middle bit as I buggered it up on the first run through. So it's literally just 2 takes, the middle bit, and the rest of the song! It does sound quite nice on second thoughts, but I really prefer the zingy kind of sound on the record!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1191413' date='Apr 7 2011, 09:02 AM']Fantastic job. I remember learning this and having to go and lie down in a darkened room every half an hour. :)[/quote]

Cheers Pete! Nice to hear coming from a great bass player who plays Steely Dan in a tribute act! Is there anything I'm playing there that sounds wrong? There's a couple notes in the Middle 8 before the jazzy riff that I'm still not sure on....

[quote name='risingson' post='1191607' date='Apr 7 2011, 12:21 PM']Great playing mate, I'm sufficiently impressed! In fact you've just inspired me to go and record some Steely Dan stuff later on.[/quote]

Cheers dude! Post it up here when you're done, I'd love to have a listen.

I might have a go at Peg or Josie next :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Higgie' post='1191725' date='Apr 7 2011, 01:54 PM']Cheers Kev!

Thanks! I don't think it was a particularly good attempt lol. It was late last night, and I was well tired. I had to redo the middle bit as I buggered it up on the first run through. So it's literally just 2 takes, the middle bit, and the rest of the song! It does sound quite nice on second thoughts, but I really prefer the zingy kind of sound on the record!

Cheers Pete! Nice to hear coming from a great bass player who plays Steely Dan in a tribute act! Is there anything I'm playing there that sounds wrong? There's a couple notes in the Middle 8 before the jazzy riff that I'm still not sure on....

Cheers dude! Post it up here when you're done, I'd love to have a listen.

I might have a go at Peg or Josie next :)[/quote]

Any chance of seeing the dots?