Why become a member? ×

**Withdrawn** FT: Clover Xpression XP15.5

chuck_stones

It pains me that after GAS'ing for bass for weeks and even selling my beloved Sandberg to afford it, I've discovered that I'm just not a 5 string player :)

I've been jamming on this bass since I got it and I just can't get used to the extra string. Additionally, the band I got the bass for has since split up, so I'm looking to trade it for another equal calibre bass, but with just 4 strings.

So, reluctantly I put this stunning example of a bass up for trade. The bass is in almost perfect condition with just a couple of light scuffs on the body (I'll try to photo these tonight), other than that everything is pristine; no buckle rash, no knocks or dings. The bass comes with a Clover branded padded gig bag (as seen in the pics) and a suede strap.

Here's the lowdown:

[url="http://www.cloverbasses.com/index.php?id=9&bass=3"]Clover Xpression XP15.5[/url]
BODY
Wood: two piece mahogany body with stunning bubinga top (figuring changes with the angle of light)
Bridge: chrome plated 3D brass bridge (allows for adjustment of string height, intonation and width).
Finish: silk matte polyurethane finish

NECK
Scale: 34" - the B string is nice and tight and punchy despite being 34" scale.
Wood: bolt on canadian hard rock maple neck
Fingerboard: rosewood fingerboard with mother of pearl dots
Fingerboard radius: 508 mm (20")
Frets: 24 medium sized frets
Trussrod: double dual action trussrod
Machine heads: chrome, capsuled machine heads
Finish: handpolished silk matte polyurethane finish

PICKUPS
Neck: DELANO JMVC-FE custom pickup (twin coil in-line humcanceller pickup)
Bridge: DELANO MC-FE custom pickup (quadcoil humcanceller pickup) switchable to single, parallel & serial modes.

ELECTRONICS
DELANO custom three-band active electronics with silent (no noise) circuit bypassable to full passive operation (for use without a 9v battery).

CONTROLS
1x volume (push-pull / active-passive) / 1x balance / 1x bass / 1x mid / 1x treble / 1x coilsplitting mini-switch (toggles the Delano MM pickup between Series/Single Coil/Parallel modes).

Truly amazing bass with a gorgeous woody tone from the mahogany and bubinga body with a lovely noiseless pre-amp, even at full boost. Definitely a good studio bass, but equally suitable for gigging too.

The bass is located near Leeds, but I can meet in the city centre for viewings if desired. I'm happy to travel to meet around Yorkshire to facilitate a trade.

In terms of trades, I'm looking for 4 string fretted basses only and preferably basses of equal or similar value (not really wanting to trade down and I've not got much cash to trade up). I'm particularly interested in basses that are a little unusual and good for rock/funk/slap. Nice natural woods are a bonus. Ideally something with a H/S or H/H pickup configuration. Examples would be:

Sandberg Ken Taylor / Panther Supreme
Clover Aperion H.4 / HP.4
Clover Avenger.4
MusicMan (with extra pickups)
Warwick (maybe depending on model)
Lakland
Spector
Kubicki Ex Factor
Human Base BaseX.oc4
Human Base Roxy
etc..

What have you got?! Any questions, feel free to get in touch :)

[url="http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/olijenkins/Clover%20Xpression%2015%205%20Bass/"]More Pics[/url]

Edited by chuck_stones

[quote name='shemeckfrac' post='1190607' date='Apr 6 2011, 03:44 PM']Dude! Give the 5-string some time. It takes quite a lot of time and practice to master the technique, but once you have it you can play both 4 and 5 string basses.[/quote]

I get what you're saying, but I just can't get into a groove with the 5-string. I keep tripping myself up over the strings when I'm finger playing (which is my predominant style); I've tried the same string spacing as on my 4-string and narrower, but to no avail... Any tips on how to master the technique would be warmly received as I do love having the extra string for octaves :)

[quote name='only4' post='1191872' date='Apr 7 2011, 03:58 PM']:)

Man, all i can say is give it some time!

Also try using the B string as your thumb rest whilst you get used to the neck.[/quote]

I did get some great advice yesterday from fellow BC'er krispn who gave me a new perspective with which to approach the 5-string. After several hours persevering with it last night jamming through some well known tunes, I have to admit I was starting to get the hang of it - still nowhere near 'fluid', but a vast improvement. I've got several practices this weekend, so this may well get withdrawn by Monday :)