Why become a member? ×

Old but great

razze06

[quote name='escholl' post='1273591' date='Jun 18 2011, 11:29 AM']You could make the same point about Ampeg. What are you expecting?[/quote]

Ampeg haven't "been away" and got revived, their USP is "classic Ampeg sound"

When HH arrived they did have something that set them apart from contemorary offerings - EL backlit panels (which I still think are cool) and extruded ally panels and rack handles. I don't see much in that current range that sets them apart, that's all, I guess that's what I was expecting.

I used a non VS very early (1974) 2 channel one, which I swapped for a Really unreliable Marshall SL100 in 1976 or 77. its never failed, and doesnt get very hot. In that time its been used with a 4x12, a 4X12 & 1X18 stack, and later sat on top of two HH 1x15 PA cabs, which sounded great.

I still have it, and occasionally use it with an ancient Fender 2X15. I love it, although it dont really look the part. And wouldnt dream of parting with it.

HH used a lot of different output PCBs, and I do know other people have had reliability issues, so maybe I got lucky.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1273669' date='Jun 18 2011, 12:33 PM']Ampeg haven't "been away" and got revived, their USP is "classic Ampeg sound"

When HH arrived they did have something that set them apart from contemorary offerings - EL backlit panels (which I still think are cool) and extruded ally panels and rack handles. I don't see much in that current range that sets them apart, that's all, I guess that's what I was expecting.[/quote]
Right, but Ampeg haven't really changed much, and their selling point isn't how 'innovative' they are. That was my only point.

I thought the new stuff looked pretty good really, they are probably playing it a bit safe just to see how the market is. Though to be honest, 30 years has gone by (or near enough) and I'm not sure what they could do now that someone else (like TC) hasn't already done -- but if they'd be willing to give me a job I'd be more than willing to give them some ideas. :)

Most products look rugged, well constructed and well designed, still plenty of lights on the front and a few unique things like kevlar reinforced drivers, bi-amped PA cabs, etc. In my view, I think on paper and in pictures they've got a definite leg up on a fair number of competing manufacturers.

Hopefully they'll sound as good and be as bombproof as the old stuff, no way of knowing till they come out.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1196105' date='Apr 11 2011, 07:24 PM']Great stuff.
I had a 2nd hand one in the 80's used initially as a stage monitor but eventually became my main amp.
Loads of different sounds including a great overdriven simulated "tube" sound.
Used it with anything from 15's to 12's to 10's and sounded great with them all.

Was well used and gigged regularly. Used at quite high volumes in a rock band.

They have my thumbs up and as you mentioned already they look great when powered up with the old neon style back-lighting.

Still have it although its on loan to my younger brother who uses it regularly and had never even heard of these amps before i gave him a loan off.
P.S. never seen it since - :lol:

Aaahhh those heady days of transistor amps.
They'll never be popular you know :D

Thanks for the memory and reminder.

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

Hi I am a Guitarist (Guitman) (Martin)

I Bought a second hand H/H IC100 in 1980 for £110
This is the two channel Guitar version with reverb, Tremolo and foot switchable Sustain and Tremolo.
And of course it has the cool green electroluminecent front panel.

The IC100 was the model before the VS Range and obviously the Guitar Version.
VS stands for Valve Sound even though the amp is totally transistor.

I sold it to my Best friend about 1982 when I bought a Peavey Clasic 50w.
This had a Transistor Preamp and a 50w Valve Power Amp with a Phaseor and Reverb built in with a 4 button footswitch awsome amp.
My mate still has the H/H IC100 and I borrowed it and used it a week ago as a slave amp for my PA System with my Marshall 6 channel 100w PA Amp.

I am an Electronics Engineer.

H/H equipment is built to the highest Brick sh*t House standard and can be repaired forever.
In order to keep an amp of this era running well all the electrolytic capacitors will need to be changed about £30.
If you do this it will carry on forever.
The amps were built so well they are virtually Indistructable.
The amps were built in the UK Somewhere Near Cambridge and unfortunately H/H went bust in the 90's.

We have loads of H/H PA amps in work and they just keep on going with no maintenance. They are indistructable.

The Guitar Amps are cool as f*** and if front panel is not cracked and still glow green are well holding on too.

I am going to change all the caps in the Power Amp section as a thank you to my friend and a passport to borrow it again whenever I need it.

You Bass Guys are so cool you have the best Musicians Web site going. I wish there was a Guitar Chat for Guitarists like me.

My greatest thank you to your site is that i found a Bass Player via Bass Chat and now I have a complete Band and am months away from doing my First Gig.

Long Live Bass Chat

Long Live Rock And Roll

Guitman (Martin) :) :)

[quote name='GUITMAN' post='1304296' date='Jul 15 2011, 06:41 AM']I am going to change all the caps in the Power Amp section as a thank you to my friend and a passport to borrow it again whenever I need it.

You Bass Guys are so cool you have the best Musicians Web site going. I wish there was a Guitar Chat for Guitarists like me.[/quote]
Well, you are always welcome here! (even if you play guitar) :)

Another good thing to check on these old HH amps is the low-voltage supply rails -- they're often listed in the schematics as being +/-15 or +/-16 volts, but are sometimes closer to +/-18. This can be right on the limit for the 741 variants that are in there, so it's a good idea to drop these down to +/-15 volts -- there is no disadvantage and the op-amps should (in theory) last longer.

If they're already at 15 or 16 volts though, they'll be fine, no need to change them -- have worked on a few HH amps, but not an IC100 yet, so am unsure about the specifics of this particular model.