Why become a member? ×

What bass strings?

shezza

Hi all, I have an Epiphone EB3 with stock strings and I am thinking of replacing them.
Has anyone any ideas of what I should purchase? The sound that I go for is a warm mellow sound, not twangy.
Also I will be going through a Boss GT10B would a change in strings make a difference, or is it best to get the required sound that I want via the GT10B. Finally has anyone had any experience of Rotosound Nexus Bass Guitar String Black Polymer Coated.
All opinions welcome.................................Thanks Pete.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='shezza' post='1181600' date='Mar 29 2011, 10:50 PM']Hi all, I have an Epiphone EB3 with stock strings and I am thinking of replacing them.
Has anyone any ideas of what I should purchase? The sound that I go for is a warm mellow sound, not twangy.
Also I will be going through a Boss GT10B would a change in strings make a difference, or is it best to get the required sound that I want via the GT10B. Finally has anyone had any experience of Rotosound Nexus Bass Guitar String Black Polymer Coated.
All opinions welcome.................................Thanks Pete.[/quote]

Hey Pete,

did you purchase the Rotosound Nexus strings in the end? All I can offer for advice is that if you want warm and mellow then go for flat wound strings, the Rotosound Nexus are advertised to be a good alternative to steel strings so I'm not sure if they would be the best for a warm mellow sound, as roundwound steel strings are known to be quite bright and twangy.

[quote name='AC87' post='1311834' date='Jul 21 2011, 05:58 PM']Hey Pete,

did you purchase the Rotosound Nexus strings in the end? All I can offer for advice is that if you want warm and mellow then go for flat wound strings, the Rotosound Nexus are advertised to be a good alternative to steel strings so I'm not sure if they would be the best for a warm mellow sound, as roundwound steel strings are known to be quite bright and twangy.[/quote]

No I did not try the strings, I no longer have this particular bass

I just received an e-mail from George Santos at D'addario Strings. They now have ETB92S, Nylon Tapewound Strings for Short Scale Basses. They aren't showing yet on their web site. The gauges are the same as the long scale ETB92 strings.
.50 .65. .85 .105.

• 2 weeks later...