Why become a member? ×

Help with a new bass shortlist..

Rusco

Hi all,

I’d like some expert help please putting a new bass shortlist together !

I’ve been playing for nearly a year and have a Squire CV60 Jazz. I’ve been quite happy with that but find it a little unbalanced and nose heavy playing on my lap and in lessons, so maybe not another Jazz such as a real Fender which was my original thought.

I’m looking for more of a rock thump sound but also like a bit of versatility, so a P/J sounds about right in theory.

So.., I’m trying to put a shortlist together before hitting the shops, so far I have...

Yamaha BB424X – I was impressed by them at the Bass Show, nice neck and sound although not sure how a piece of plastic and tin cost an extra £100+ over the non ’x’ version.

Ibanez SR500 & SR700 – light and felt good on quick demos. Maybe not the exact sound I’m looking for... nice basses.

Fender Delux P-Bass Special – seems to tick most boxes if it doesn’t have the same balance problem as my Jazz

Warwick – not had a good look at these yet but on the list for now.

There is no point me looking at more expensive basses yet as I wouldn’t be good enough to exploit the difference, so I’m only looking around the above standard and the Stringray will have to wait!

Any other suggests to try ?

Thanks !

[quote name='Rusco' post='1174824' date='Mar 24 2011, 03:55 PM']Hi all,

I’d like some expert help please putting a new bass shortlist together !

I’ve been playing for nearly a year and have a Squire CV60 Jazz. I’ve been quite happy with that but find it a little unbalanced and nose heavy playing on my lap and in lessons, so maybe not another Jazz such as a real Fender which was my original thought.

I’m looking for more of a rock thump sound but also like a bit of versatility, so a P/J sounds about right in theory.

So.., I’m trying to put a shortlist together before hitting the shops, so far I have...

Yamaha BB424X – I was impressed by them at the Bass Show, nice neck and sound although not sure how a piece of plastic and tin cost an extra £100+ over the non ’x’ version.

Ibanez SR500 & SR700 – light and felt good on quick demos. Maybe not the exact sound I’m looking for... nice basses.

Fender Delux P-Bass Special – seems to tick most boxes if it doesn’t have the same balance problem as my Jazz

Warwick – not had a good look at these yet but on the list for now.

There is no point me looking at more expensive basses yet as I wouldn’t be good enough to exploit the difference, so I’m only looking around the above standard and the Stringray will have to wait!

Any other suggests to try ?

Thanks ![/quote]

This is really a preference thing. You'll get a lot of different answers on this site. Have you got access to any music shops? Another thing you might try is to go to a jam night and ask peeps if you can try their basses. I guess i am saying try before you buy as you seem to have some specific requirements. There may also be something in the basses for sale on this site.

Stingrays are amazing value at the moment - there are some bargains out there. They weigh a ton though.

[quote name='Rusco' post='1174824' date='Mar 24 2011, 03:55 PM']Yamaha BB424X – I was impressed by them at the Bass Show, nice neck and sound although not sure how a piece of plastic and tin cost an extra £100+ over the non ’x’ version.[/quote]
+1 for the BB. The X-ness is just a matter of taste, only worth paying extra for if you think it is!

G&L Tribute JB-2 may be worth a look - J/J rather than P/J but still a belter.

Thanks, yes understand it is a little bit personal choice. I'll certainly try and buy from a local music shop but my master plan is to try and have a shortlist to pick from and avoid walking in and going.. 'ahhhh shiney..' and making a snap purchase :)

Good suggestion about jam sessions, thanks for that.

[quote name='ras52' post='1174884' date='Mar 24 2011, 04:41 PM']+1 for the BB. The X-ness is just a matter of taste, only worth paying extra for if you think it is!

G&L Tribute JB-2 may be worth a look - J/J rather than P/J but still a belter.[/quote]

That's what I have been leaning towards at the moment. It looked and felt great at the show and the Yamaha folk on the stand were very helpful.

I hadn't thought of G&Ls, thanks for the suggestion

[quote name='BottomE' post='1174852' date='Mar 24 2011, 04:21 PM']Stingrays are amazing value at the moment - there are some bargains out there. They weigh a ton though.[/quote]

Based on what? I have three and both the four strings are about 9.5 lbs the five is about 10.5 which is about par for the course and normal stingray weights if anything barring a 70's pre EB they may even be lighter.

It is all down to personal preference really, one man's chicken in a basket is another man's coq au vin...........

I think the Yamaha is a good choice if you want more of a traditional sound, and still pretty versatile, but the Ibanez's are really comfortable and probably lighter and more versatile (they do a great 'growl' if that's what floats your boat!).