Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger - 700RB or MB500?

Cosmo Valdemar

I've been thinking of getting a GK head for some time now, and what with the imminent end of the Take It Away scheme I need to get my arse in gear!
I originally intended to go for the 700 RB - classic amp, great tone. But I find myself increasingly drawn to the lightweight MB 500, which recently got a stunning review in BGM.

Are there any GK users out there who can offer a comparison of the two? I am not really in a position to try either out but I have had experience with the 700 in the past - do the two amps make a markedly different noise? The boost facility is important :)

I play a Spector bass, and make very loud, heavy rock/metal.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1174591' date='Mar 24 2011, 01:34 PM']I've been thinking of getting a GK head for some time now, and what with the imminent end of the Take It Away scheme I need to get my arse in gear!
I originally intended to go for the 700 RB - classic amp, great tone. But I find myself increasingly drawn to the lightweight MB 200, which recently got a stunning review in BGM.

Are there any GK users out there who can offer a comparison of the two? I am not really in a position to try either out but I have had experience with the 700 in the past - do the two amps make a markedly different noise? The boost facility is important :)

I play a Spector bass, and make very loud, heavy rock/metal.[/quote]I'm sort of after both however the MB200 though a great little amp started to distort too much for my liking above 75% (gain) so I'll just go for the 700RB-II & not bother with a back up as that was the purpose of the MB200. I recently sold an older late 80's 400RB & that sounded great but again felt the 200w not quite enough & started to distort once you got to near full volume. I also play in a loud rock band so I don't recommend the MB200 as main amp but I cannot comment on the 500w models.

Edited by sifi2112

I've used them both recently as well has having owned the 700RB-II in the past and currently using a 2001RB-II (and hopefully in the near future getting some MB/NEO gear).

MB500 pros: Smaller, lighter, slightly cheaper.
700RB-II pros: Bi-amping.

They're both designed to make similar noises, the 700RB-II is made with less constraints in mind but the MB500 does it's job perfectly. Don't underestimate the bi-amping though, although the basic purpose is to allow you control over tweeter volume from the front panel of your amp, it does allow slightly more control with the crossover buttons than I've seen on most cabs too. The boost control is part of the power amp (I like to think of it as a power amp gain) and should be relatively similar on both as that solid state power amp growl is what makes the GK sound (and why GK have decided not to make any all-valve heads).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the 700 gives you more functionality and slightly more tonal options, but the MB is purpose built to be light and small and does that job admirably. If you need to be concious of size and weight or you're not using GK bi-amp compatable cabs, then the MB will suit you perfectly. If you're using bi-amped cabs and the size and weight aren't an issue, the 700RB will be the one.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1175935' date='Mar 25 2011, 03:09 PM']I've used them both recently as well has having owned the 700RB-II in the past and currently using a 2001RB-II (and hopefully in the near future getting some MB/NEO gear).

MB500 pros: Smaller, lighter, slightly cheaper.
700RB-II pros: Bi-amping.

They're both designed to make similar noises, the 700RB-II is made with less constraints in mind but the MB500 does it's job perfectly. Don't underestimate the bi-amping though, although the basic purpose is to allow you control over tweeter volume from the front panel of your amp, it does allow slightly more control with the crossover buttons than I've seen on most cabs too. The boost control is part of the power amp (I like to think of it as a power amp gain) and should be relatively similar on both as that solid state power amp growl is what makes the GK sound (and why GK have decided not to make any all-valve heads).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the 700 gives you more functionality and slightly more tonal options, but the MB is purpose built to be light and small and does that job admirably. If you need to be concious of size and weight or you're not using GK bi-amp compatable cabs, then the MB will suit you perfectly. If you're using bi-amped cabs and the size and weight aren't an issue, the 700RB will be the one.[/quote]

Thank you, that's just what I was after! I'll be using my existing cabs (a general mish-mash of Ashdown and the occasional Peavey) so the bi-amping/tweeter control function won;t be an issue... I think I'm going to go for the MB500!