Why become a member? ×

Gibson Grabber Hybrid USA Feeler

ash

Anyone interested in this? It's my mongrel Gibson Grabber 1, it was put together as a spare initially with the thought of converting it to a 5 string. The neck is a 70s Grabber 1imported from the states and rare as .... it has a serial number and is straight with good frets and a nice profile. The neck has had an ugly but sound repair where the joint has come adrift (note this is not a break). There are two pins with visible pinheads holding the repair in place but can't be felt when playing - see pic. The head has been refinished in places as it looks to have been rubbed down. Truss rod works fine. Logo is original and there is a serial and made in USA stamp on the reverse. The tuners are old Schallers. The body is from a copy I bought from Ebay as a rescue job, it is quality wood and not ply, pretty hefty but sustains well and balances nicely. The sliding pickup and electrics are from the same copy and sound very like the real thing (I know as I have three of them) although they are a wee bit scratchy. Unlike the real G1 the bass has a P bass type bridge and isn't strung through the body. I bought this in various parts as a bit of a fun project, it has been unceremoniously bolted together by myself but actually works well and looks, sounds and plays very like my early 70s G1. With a bit of care this could be a fantastic bass but as is is a working bass. It is currently wearing flatwounds (not the black nylons in the pics) and has black chrome domed and knurled controls. The parts and import charges cost me just over 320 so that's the sort of ball park figure I'm after.

[attachment=75507:IMGP1902.JPG]

[attachment=75506:IMGP1915.JPG]

[attachment=75508:451580121_o.jpg]

[quote name='ash' post='1172602' date='Mar 22 2011, 09:02 PM']Anyone interested in this? It's my mongrel Gibson Grabber 1, it was put together as a spare initially with the thought of converting it to a 5 string. The neck is a 70s Grabber 1imported from the states and rare as .... it has a serial number and is straight with good frets and a nice profile. The neck has had an ugly but sound repair where the joint has come adrift (note this is not a break). There are two pins with visible pinheads holding the repair in place but can't be felt when playing - see pic. The head has been refinished in places as it looks to have been rubbed down. Truss rod works fine. Logo is original and there is a serial and made in USA stamp on the reverse. The tuners are old Schallers. The body is from a copy I bought from Ebay as a rescue job, it is quality wood and not ply, pretty hefty but sustains well and balances nicely. The sliding pickup and electrics are from the same copy and sound very like the real thing (I know as I have three of them) although they are a wee bit scratchy. Unlike the real G1 the bass has a P bass type bridge and isn't strung through the body. I bought this in various parts as a bit of a fun project, it has been unceremoniously bolted together by myself but actually works well and looks, sounds and plays very like my early 70s G1. With a bit of care this could be a fantastic bass but as is is a working bass. It is currently wearing flatwounds (not the black nylons in the pics) and has black chrome domed and knurled controls. The parts and import charges cost me just over 320 so that's the sort of ball park figure I'm after.[/quote]

When you say scratchy do you mean an issue with the connections or the actual pickup?

[quote name='borntohang' post='1172762' date='Mar 22 2011, 11:35 PM']When you say scratchy do you mean an issue with the connections or the actual pickup?[/quote]
Just a dry solder joint or old pots that need a clean, pickup is fine.

[quote name='jwlkr' post='1181690' date='Mar 29 2011, 11:42 PM']Il send you more I'm using my phone as my computer is broke[/quote]
Thanks for the pics will have a think, I have had some interest so will let you know asap. Looks a nice bass.