Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb bolt on, Korean Vs German

Rich_uk77

hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had the chance to play a warwick thumb made in korea (ovangkol neck and body, wenge fingerboard) and also played a german made bolt on thumb, (bubinga body ovangkol neck and wenge fingerboard). also if anyone has any thoughts on if the build quality suffers on the korean made versions...

thanks a lot people, rich.

Have I missed something? Have Warwick now outsourced all their production to the Far East, or are they running some sort of three-tier model range;

Rockbass
Korean std
German std

Presumably they're keeping Der SuperExpensiveKustomShoppe in Germany?

Geez.
The times they [i]are[/i] a changing..

I'm fairly sure I've seen (German) Thumb BOs with both Ovangkol and Bubinga Bodies and with both Wenge and Ovangkol necks (depending on [i]when[/i] they were bulit)
Corvette BOs definitely come in Bubinga, so I can't see why you couldn't/wouldn't make a Thumb BO in the same material..

The bolt-on Thumbs were originally Ovangkol (early examples were walnut) however Warwick have recently changed that to Bubinga instead, and have reintroduced the Ovangkol model as a korean version to go alongside the corvette standards. Prior to this Bubinga BO's were not stock instruments. As far as i know the new Bubinga BO is replacing the german Ovangkol BO(Woo!).

Be interesting to see the street price of the Korean thumb...

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1171064' date='Mar 21 2011, 06:48 PM']Have I missed something? Have Warwick now outsourced all their production to the Far East, or are they running some sort of three-tier model range;

Rockbass
Korean std
German std

....[/quote]

Yes, that's basically it: three tiers of pricing. I think the spec of the Korean and German models is supposed to be comparable, but with the odd quirk like the Thumb BO being ovangkol if it's Korean, and bubinga (but not pommelé) if it's German. They just seem to be following the Fender MIA/MIJ/MIM/Squier business model.

[quote name='Kev' post='1171075' date='Mar 21 2011, 06:50 PM']...
Be interesting to see the street price of the Korean thumb...[/quote]

From a quick glance it looks like the RRP is about 2/3rds the price of the German BO, and I'd guess the street prices will be similar. There's a German shop offering the Korean BO for 1400 euros, whereas Thomann have the German BO for about 2000 euros. Neither are in stock, fwiw.