Why become a member? ×

Hartke HA5500 Power Lead

Pow_22

I recently sold an old amp and accidently gave away my only power lead with it. I bought what i thought was a similar one off ebay (kettle lead style). It only lasted a few goes before the fuse went (i think) as its a sealed socket it got binned. My old man had a spare power lead from a PC that looked the same, so tried that and the same thing happened. Question is, what power lead should i be using for a HA5500?

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1170321' date='Mar 21 2011, 08:13 AM']I recently sold an old amp and accidently gave away my only power lead with it. I bought what i thought was a similar one off ebay (kettle lead style). It only lasted a few goes before the fuse went (i think) as its a sealed socket it got binned. My old man had a spare power lead from a PC that looked the same, so tried that and the same thing happened. Question is, what power lead should i be using for a HA5500?[/quote]

Normal kettle lead with a small fuse. I tend to not want to use 13 amp fuse in the lead for the amp but get advice on what the manufacturers say. I work on the premise that fuses blow for a reason, so I like the lowest tolerance, myself.

On that point..blowing fuses..get the amp checked out now. I am assuming you have a 13amp fuse in the kettle lead and that can
lead upto some damage if you can blow that.

It might be nothing or it might be something and might be expensive if you persist.

Just my 2p.

Does not the Hartke have a 6.2 A fuse in the sled next to the IEC input? If so, the rating of the power lead fuse should be irrelevant. If the power lead fuse is blowing but the sled fuse is not, I would suspect you've got either a 5A or 3A fuse in the power leads you're using...

Mark

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1170321' date='Mar 21 2011, 08:13 AM']I recently sold an old amp and accidently gave away my only power lead with it. I bought what i thought was a similar one off ebay (kettle lead style). It only lasted a few goes before the fuse went (i think) as its a sealed socket it got binned. My old man had a spare power lead from a PC that looked the same, so tried that and the same thing happened. Question is, what power lead should i be using for a HA5500?[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

Yes Mark, ive checked the fuses in the sled and they appear to be fine and not blown. I did suspect ive basically got a 3 or 5 amp lead hence the blowing. There was no big POP or anything, just turned it on and it went off again. Will try and get hold of a 13 amp lead. Also as has been suggested ill get the amp checked over as i am selling it so want it to be perfect

It's a bog standard 6A rated IEC lead.
The mains input socket of the amp has a 6.2A fuse in it.

The computer lead you used will have a 3A fuse in it and will therefore blow when you switch on the amp (the amp can potentially draw 12A momentarily when you power it on).

You need to pull the fuse out of the mains lead and replace it with a 13A one - the 6.2A fuse in the mains input socket provides suitable protection.