Why become a member? ×

A great article on what to do with your transcriptions.

funkle

I recall a thread discussing what we all do with our transcriptions a while back. I found a very good article on the same theme and thought others would enjoy it also.

[url="http://jazzadvice.com/how-transcribing-one-solo-can-entirely-change-your-approach-to-improvising/"]http://jazzadvice.com/how-transcribing-one...to-improvising/[/url]

It's really very good.

Pete

That's an excellent article, and bizarrely, is similar to something I've been working on recently.

My new year's resolution was to improve my jazz soloing, and so I took an inspiring lesson with Joe Hubbard, and began transcribing and analysing one of my favourite solos - Chick Corea's solo on 'Spain'. So far I have transcribed the first chorus of Chick's solo and learnt it. In doing so, I found some melodic ideas that were confusing. Some research was needed in order for me to understand what he was doing, but once I had uncovered the [i]concept[/i] behind the lick (rather than just the notes), I had a new piece of vocabulary to incorporate into my own playing. I studied every idea in that one chorus of the solo and uncovered so many ideas it was unreal. Using these ideas, I began to improvise my own lines on the form, taking it a few chords at a time - I looped a backing track in Transcribe for this. The result is that I have written a few pages of new licks and have begun combining them into some etudes. I'm really enjoying playing these now, and feel that having taken the time to analyse just a few bars of Chick's playing, I have learnt an incredible amount.

Once my etudes and accompanying explanations are finished I will upload them for you all to check out.

Great article!

Stu

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='1167007' date='Mar 18 2011, 12:53 PM']That's an excellent article, and bizarrely, is similar to something I've been working on recently.[/quote]

Yep, what you describe sounds pretty familiar.

Amazing what one solo can do. I've been playing a Gerry Mulligan solo from 'All The Things You Are' for the last month and getting it up to speed (210bpm). Only now am I ripping it apart and taking all the constituent 'bits' (ii-V-I's, minor ii-VI's, V7-I resolutions, diminished runs, etc) and putting them in all 12 keys. I will [i]own[/i] these one day. It's a good thing I like this solo, 'cause I'm going to be living with it for a long time...

Pete

Edited by funkle

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='1167007' date='Mar 18 2011, 12:53 PM']That's an excellent article, and bizarrely, is similar to something I've been working on recently.

My new year's resolution was to improve my jazz soloing, and so I took an inspiring lesson with Joe Hubbard, and began transcribing and analysing one of my favourite solos - Chick Corea's solo on 'Spain'. So far I have transcribed the first chorus of Chick's solo and learnt it. In doing so, I found some melodic ideas that were confusing. Some research was needed in order for me to understand what he was doing, but once I had uncovered the [i]concept[/i] behind the lick (rather than just the notes), I had a new piece of vocabulary to incorporate into my own playing. I studied every idea in that one chorus of the solo and uncovered so many ideas it was unreal. Using these ideas, I began to improvise my own lines on the form, taking it a few chords at a time - I looped a backing track in Transcribe for this. The result is that I have written a few pages of new licks and have begun combining them into some etudes. I'm really enjoying playing these now, and feel that having taken the time to analyse just a few bars of Chick's playing, I have learnt an incredible amount.

Once my etudes and accompanying explanations are finished I will upload them for you all to check out.

Great article!

Stu[/quote]

Great post, Stuart. It really crystlises the benefits of properly [i]studying[/i] the music we learn rather than just reproducing it.