Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Squier Affinity P bass

gary mac

Got myself a Squier P bass tonight and plan to do some "improvements".

First thing to decide is whether to strip it back to the wood, which is alder or to do some sympathetic relicing. It already has a level of mojo with a few scrapes and bruises.

My question is, given that it's a budget bass is the wood likely to be not very attractive and therefore not worth the effort of stripping and staining?

Any help gratefully received, thanks.

Could be horrible under there but you don't like it now, you'll probabaly just end up doing it anyway... My advice is strip it but be prepared to go solid colour. Having taken the finish off numerous budget basses I've never come across one I'd be happy staining. See my Columbus bass project thread here (soon to restart work on it soon!)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=104190&hl=columbus"]Columbus project[/url]

Not sure how to proceed really.

I decided this afternoon prior to doing anything else, to give it a decent set up.

After a bit of tweeking it's actually very playable. I'm pleasantly surprised by the neck and fret work. I was expecting some dodgy fret work with sharp ends etc. but it all seems quite sound and no sharp bits.

Plugged in its a bit lame, but I intend to change the pups and drop in one of Kiojons wiring kits.

Anyway I will start a build thread, I know it's a bit old hat and the P bass thing has been done over and over, but I like to keep a record. Also if I detail the whole thing, mistakes and all it might at least prove useful to someone else, embarking on a similair project.

Thanks for the advice so far, see you in the build thread.