Why become a member? ×

EQ help

paddy mcbride

Hi

At rehearsal last night I got the rare chance to play before the rest of the band arrived. I noticed that while most of my strings sound clear and punchy the bottom C sounded a little woolly and I couldn't manage to get it to have the same punch as the other strings.

I tune CGCF on a Warwick Streamer LX - I play with the on board EQ by passed. I try to let my amp (SVT6Pro) do all the EQing.

Can someone give me some advise please? I'd like to manage this without the need to put my sansamp infront of the amp. But maybe thats what I need to do?

Any advise on EQing will be appreciated.

Thank you

This is probably not conventional wisdom but I've always held the opinion that in a band it's not the solo sound that matters but the sound as part of the overall.

E.g. some of the nicer high end parts of the sound can be lost in the blend. The sound I tend to use I don't think sounds great by itself but sits with everything else just fine.

I've done a fair bit of mixing over the years with Cubase etc which started to make me listen to the production of records more. It seemed to me that in very busy productions individual sounds seem to be eq'ed to be quite "thin" so that they all find a bit of space in the spectrum whereas simple productions with less instruments permit individual sounds to be left more as originally recorded. Consequently I tend to think about the sounds in the band in the same way.