Why become a member? ×

WHO USES MB4210 COMBO

Juzgoez

I did have one. Lovely warm valvey tone from the gain channel.

I used to use it with the MB115 cab at gigs, but at practices just on its own. To be honest, it didn`t need the 115 for the gigs I did (punk gigs, in pubs with 100+ capacity), but I bought the pair of them together, so best to use them both, and the 115 did add some depth and size to the sound.

Some people on here have had reliability issues with the MB range but so far I`ve had:

MB4210 combo
MB450H head
MB115 cab
MB410 cab
MB15 prac combo (still got this)

And not a problem with any of them.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1164996' date='Mar 16 2011, 09:04 PM']I did have one. Lovely warm valvey tone from the gain channel.

I used to use it with the MB115 cab at gigs, but at practices just on its own. To be honest, it didn`t need the 115 for the gigs I did (punk gigs, in pubs with 100+ capacity), but I bought the pair of them together, so best to use them both, and the 115 did add some depth and size to the sound.

Some people on here have had reliability issues with the MB range but so far I`ve had:

MB4210 combo
MB450H head
MB115 cab
MB410 cab
MB15 prac combo (still got this)

And not a problem with any of them.[/quote]
Nice one. I've got a MB4210 coming tomoz What about best position, height off the ground on it's own?

Do think maybe Marshall have cleaned their act up with the unreliability issues and are keeping the price low to attract new buyers?

Edited by Jobo Pooks

When I used mine on its own, I used to just put it on the floor, until I started using an aluminium case for my leads etc. I then just used to put the amp on top of that.

Re the reliability thing, a friend of a friend is an engineer at Marshall, and he said that when the first batch of these came through, they literally had to redo them all, as the quality control wasn`t good on them. However, saying that, I bought my 4210 in 2007, and it was fine, so the poor items must have been previous to this. I sold mine to a mate, he`s still got it, and never had any problems either, and uses it every week.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1165062' date='Mar 16 2011, 10:07 PM']When I used mine on its own, I used to just put it on the floor, until I started using an aluminium case for my leads etc. I then just used to put the amp on top of that.

Re the reliability thing, a friend of a friend is an engineer at Marshall, and he said that when the first batch of these came through, they literally had to redo them all, as the quality control wasn`t good on them. However, saying that, I bought my 4210 in 2007, and it was fine, so the poor items must have been previous to this. I sold mine to a mate, he`s still got it, and never had any problems either, and uses it every week.[/quote]
Picked mine up this morning and just had a little run through with it. Not as chest thumping as I'd expected so adding a cab seems to be the answer, as has already been mentioned. can't grumble though at £339

It`s a fairly slim cab, so that can account for this.

I always used the Classic channel, with gain, bass, mid, treb all on 5, Classic channel volume on full, and used the Master volume as the overall volume control.

For a 2x10 it certainly had some poke with these settings. I played in a punk band and a heavy rock band with it, and as stated, whilst the addition of a cab gave more depth, volume wise it wasn`t needed.

Didn`t like the Modern channel though.

I'm currently using the MB4410 with the MBC115 extension cab. Prior to the MB4410 I was using the MB4210 and it definitely needs the extension cab. If you don't get the cab at least stand it on something as it's impossible to see the controls without getting on your hands and knees.

I had a major reliability problem with the MB4210 but to be fair, Marshall then upgraded me (FOC) to the MB4410.

I'm with Lozz on using the Classic channel but you can also get some nice tones blending the 2 channels.

[quote name='GT40Graham' post='1166621' date='Mar 18 2011, 07:34 AM']I'm currently using the MB4410 with the MBC115 extension cab. Prior to the MB4410 I was using the MB4210 and it definitely needs the extension cab. If you don't get the cab at least stand it on something as it's impossible to see the controls without getting on your hands and knees.

I had a major reliability problem with the MB4210 but to be fair, Marshall then upgraded me (FOC) to the MB4410.

I'm with Lozz on using the Classic channel but you can also get some nice tones blending the 2 channels.[/quote]
Yeh, did notice that about the controls being a bit out of sight. I'll make a dummy cab for now out of washing up bottles and sticky backed plastic....I didn't get my Blue Peter Badge for nothing you know..... :)

Thanks for the replies, guys...

I have noticed that the cooling fan is a bit noisy; especially for a small axial. Is this common? I'm not talking about screeching noisy, but an annoying whirring when the amp is just sitting. I've seen much bigger fans of this type that are virtually silent....Ie: in bottle fridges etc

Edited by Jobo Pooks

[quote name='Jobo Pooks' post='1169285' date='Mar 20 2011, 10:48 AM']I have noticed that the cooling fan is a bit noisy; especially for a small axial. Is this common? I'm not talking about screeching noisy, but an annoying whirring when the amp is just sitting. I've seen much bigger fans of this type that are virtually silent....Ie: in bottle fridges etc[/quote]

It could be just yours. On both mine, the fan is audible but not intrusive, it makes about the same noise as your average PC fan.

I've been using one of these for about 18 months, I did have fault problems to start with, Marshall sent me a new one, but since then it's been fine, I use it with a 1 x 15 extention cab, (not a Marshall) which gives it a lot more bottom end grunt, and I think I must be in a minority of one cause I use the modern channel but I do use a zoom 506II to add a touch of distortion, really happy with it, get the sound I want with loads of head room