Why become a member? ×

So how can u tell?

dougie

[quote name='tom1946' post='1162650' date='Mar 15 2011, 06:48 AM']How do you know they were off a Squier? I don't know how you tell , sorry. I have the same dilemma. I suggest buying off here because no-one wants their reputation sullied by mis-selling.[/quote]
by luck as it happens,the guy listed them as"vintage 60s Fender P Bass original pickups",i won them and asked him if he had any of the other parts,thats when he told me it was a Squier he had yrs ago,i asked him why the listing said original Fender p bass,it got a little bitchy when he asked me"why whats so different between a fender and a squier by fender"and i told him not much apart from about £700 quid,we agreed that perhaps he should retain them,either back in his loft,or up his arse.so im trying to find ways of getting what is advertised as there must be hundreds of items like this,every pup i look at that fits p basses look the same to me

It can be very tough. Sometimes you just have to go on trust. It's nice if you can get it's resistance reading on a multimeter that you can cross reference. Some pups have identifiable serials or instantly recognisable colour combinations of wiring. Often (with Fender for example) you just have no way of fully knowing just by looking.
Some manufacturers like SD place part numbers on the backs of theirs. I think Wizard put a name sticker on theirs. I have a set of Bill Lawrence pups which are distinguished from fakes or the lesser quality "factory" BLs because he was kind enough to actually hand sign them in biro.
All you can do is look out for the physical signs, resin sealed, wax dipped, cloth tape/sleeving, raised poles, do they look too new for vintage etc. and compare them to pics or descriptions from the net.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1162770' date='Mar 15 2011, 09:38 AM']It can be very tough. Sometimes you just have to go on trust. It's nice if you can get it's resistance reading on a multimeter that you can cross reference. Some pups have identifiable serials or instantly recognisable colour combinations of wiring. Often (with Fender for example) you just have no way of fully knowing just by looking.
Some manufacturers like SD place part numbers on the backs of theirs. I think Wizard put a name sticker on theirs. I have a set of Bill Lawrence pups which are distinguished from fakes or the lesser quality "factory" BLs because he was kind enough to actually hand sign them in biro.
All you can do is look out for the physical signs, resin sealed, wax dipped, cloth tape/sleeving, raised poles, do they look too new for vintage etc. and compare them to pics or descriptions from the net.[/quote]
cheers m8,few pointers to go on there,ideally id do all dealing here its the usual night shift boredom,no one on here to have rational freindly debates about football etc so end up roaming thru ebay........

[quote name='dougie' post='1162745' date='Mar 15 2011, 09:16 AM'].....we agreed that perhaps he should retain them,either back in his loft,or up his arse.....[/quote]
Nearly spilled the coffee there, best chortle of the morning!

I'd go for decent quality ones like Seymour Duncan, EMG etc if you're going to the hassle of changing pickups at all. As mentioned above most of these have some identification, which a decent ebayer will make obvious. Buying on here you have a better ratio of decent types, I'd say!

[quote name='hubrad' post='1162878' date='Mar 15 2011, 11:08 AM']Nearly spilled the coffee there, best chortle of the morning!

I'd go for decent quality ones like Seymour Duncan, EMG etc if you're going to the hassle of changing pickups at all. As mentioned above most of these have some identification, which a decent ebayer will make obvious. Buying on here you have a better ratio of decent types, I'd say![/quote]
Totally m8,3 deals done here and all 3 helped beyond the call of duty.

[quote name='dougie' post='1162448' date='Mar 14 2011, 09:48 PM']when looking for replacement pups and get offered "original p bass pups"....which later turn out to be off an old Squier....whats visual differences should i look for??[/quote]

I had a similar problem, 2 sets of not great 'original Fender' Preicision pups later, I bought some Kent Arstrong 10K vintage ones and tbh they are excellent for not a lot of dough.

[url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Hot_Vintage_P_Bass_Pickup_Alnico_PBV-1"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Hot_Vinta...up_Alnico_PBV-1[/url]

tbh, I'm not entirely convinced by Fender Original pickups. Admittedly I've only used USA electric guitar ones, but they were, well, OK. We have some Japanese ones in the shop which IMHO are way broader and richer of tone! Then you get onto Seymours, etc...

[quote name='hubrad' post='1164183' date='Mar 16 2011, 10:49 AM']tbh, I'm not entirely convinced by Fender Original pickups. Admittedly I've only used USA electric guitar ones, but they were, well, OK. We have some Japanese ones in the shop which IMHO are way broader and richer of tone! Then you get onto Seymours, etc...[/quote]
thats the thing,ive now a few sets,also got a pair of pups off ebay for a Ibby j series copy,they look old,adjustable poles etc and sound good but it would be nice knowing exactly what im paying for due to no markings etc.

[quote name='dougie' post='1164190' date='Mar 16 2011, 10:57 AM']thats the thing,ive now a few sets,also got a pair of pups off ebay for a Ibby j series copy,they look old,adjustable poles etc and sound good but it would be nice knowing exactly what im paying for due to no markings etc.[/quote]
My original bass started life as a Japanese Ibanez, and had adjustable pole piece P-J pickups; I was told by a few folks over the years that they were most likely to be DiMarzio. No identifying marks at all IIRC.
Bassassin seems to be a fount of knowledge on Jap stuff.

[quote name='hubrad' post='1164200' date='Mar 16 2011, 11:09 AM']My original bass started life as a Japanese Ibanez, and had adjustable pole piece P-J pickups; I was told by a few folks over the years that they were most likely to be DiMarzio. No identifying marks at all IIRC.
Bassassin seems to be a fount of knowledge on Jap stuff.[/quote]
he is indeed,ive been in his basement studio,its like being in a sweetshop aged 8......Jon knows his stuff.