Why become a member? ×

Double Bass resource

Bilbo

If you scroll down to the bottom of this String Emporium website there are a range of helpful notes ablut all sorts of elements of double bass playing, manufacture, materials etc. Usefull stuff if you have a minute to scan it. I got my Finale CF Bow from them and they were really quick and easy to use.

[url="http://www.stringemporium.com/index.htm"]String Emporium [/url]

Some examples:

Classical or Jazz upright bass?
How to Practice on an Upright Bass
Flying with an Upright Bass
Dr. Beat Thoughts on Etudes

Thanks Bilbo. Steve's site is a nice concise double bass book in itself. I found the items on strings to be very interesting: I've always been a Spirocore man but have just bought a new bass that is fitted with Bel Canto strings. They're generally reckonned to be orchestral strings but on first playing I rather like them for jazz. Anyone with experience of using them?

Geoff and M-M, thanks for the timely caution. They seem almost impossibly easy to play but probably lack the attack that I'd need. I'll stick a set of Spiros on tomorrow and see how the bass sounds before I get my cheque book out.

Sorry to hijack the thread, guys, but you know how one thing can lead to another and that's the great thing about forums.