Why become a member? ×

Jazz loses out to P

Jigster

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1162793' date='Mar 15 2011, 09:53 AM']....You simply can't argue with Billy Sheehan on this. We all need to stop obsessing over gear and just play more!....[/quote]
That sounds familiar! But it's advice that is too simple for many!

Don't worry about "the sound in your head". Buy the best gear you can afford and make it sound good as you can. That'll sound good enough for your band members and your audience.

It's the 80/20 rule; 20% the gear you play, 80% how you play it.

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1162793' date='Mar 15 2011, 09:53 AM']You simply can't argue with Billy Sheehan on this. We all need to stop obsessing over gear and just play more![/quote]

Billy Sheehan telling people to stop obsessing with their gear is fairly ironic, considering all the mods he just [i]had[/i] to make to his P bass back in the day, and all the tinkering he still does between models of his signature line today.
:)

Edited by Maverick

FWIW, I think I can get a more than passable P-bass sound out of my J bass..or certainly one of them, but although it is a sound I like in certain contexts, it isn't a sound that I hear that much.

I think I like it better when other players use it. Solid, full and understated, and I don't have a gig that needs that discipline.

[quote name='molan' post='1161789' date='Mar 14 2011, 04:15 PM']I know what you mean - I guess I was just trying to say that you can get a great tone out of many a bass if you a) have the fingers, and :lol: are prepared to play with the tone controls a little.

Maybe the P just works because it only has two tones - treble open or wound right off, none of that pickup switching, active mid boost malarky to fiddle around with, lol.[/quote]

One thing some people miss is the range of tones available by moving between bottom of the neck and more towards the bridge. That's one reason I have a love / hate relationship with pickup covers - they look cool, but severely limiit playing position.

I'm also a bit sad as I'm finding I prefer the neck-only Jazz sound to that of my new-ish Precision currently.... :) :)