Why become a member? ×

Homemade bass's

Mikeg

i have alot of free time lined up in the summer so i thought i'd start a project to keep me busy. i would realy like to make my own bass. i know it wont be that amazing but as long as it makes an alright sound i'll be happy. My budget wont be high at all (under £200)
Where do i start? :)
Basswood seems to be a good choice of wood as it's cheap and i've heard its nice to work with.

[quote name='bass24' post='1160333' date='Mar 13 2011, 11:46 AM']And NO batteries needed![/quote]
certainly versatile,"Due to its simplicity, it is also a perfect toy and first string instrument for kids or beginners. "
That conjurs quite a sketch in my house....."erm thanks dad..how did you guess id asked santa for a concrete bucket,sturdy stick and roll of string?"............"mummmmmmmmmm,dads took them drugs again that you left him for in the nineties!!!!"

I bought a poplar body blank from those guys a month ago and it arrived in two days.
Not bad value for money I don't think. Thickness planed, well glued and definitely big enough for a P or a J!
I've gone for a Spalted Beech top which added a further £25 onto my build, which is annoying because now I have to shave 2cm off the poplar to bring it to the correct thickness!

Um, yeah.Tonetech's good.

Truckstop

edit: Ooh! Wickes sell ash bookshelves that are also big enough for £12! They're not thick enough though, so you'd have to buy some nice wood to go on top!

Edited by Truckstop

Ask some mates for a jigsaw, a sander, a router, a drill and lots of sandpaper of varying grades. From 150 through to 2000. People have said to me that wet and dry and wire wool can also be used, but I prefer not to use for some reason. I just like using regular sandpaper! Rasps can also be useful for shaping the wood around the cutaways.

So, jigsaw to cut out the shape and the router for the pup holes, neck socket and electronics cavity.
Some sort of rasp might be good for helping to round the edges off before you start sanding the body as a whole. Keep sanding until you think you've done enough, then do that again. Really, it'll make the wood look fantastic!

I like to finish with danish oil and beeswax and buff til I can't buff no more.

Truckstop