Why become a member? ×

FS: Rikenfaker mij c1970s - £500 

thegreenman555

Cash-flow crisis & lack of sale of other basses means I gotta move this 'new to me' Faker, which recently came to me from Bulgaria. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's simply that I gotta eat :) 

Japanese made, the brand/provenance is not known but definitely one of the best of it's kind. Bassassin here matched it to a logo-d one he found on the Rickenfakers Facebook page - "branded as JooDee, which was a brand used by the Yamaki factory. Yamaki's best-known brand was Daion, these are spectacularly rare & can sell for a fortune." Allegedly. But I'll let it go for what I paid - just need to recoup investment, sadly. 

It is in extremely good condition for an instrument over 30 years old. The lacquer is still 9/10- only a couple of minor scuffs, and the paintjob is beautiful ( the pictures were taken by the previous owner who is not a photographer by his own admission).

The pickups have enormous output, everything is working including the stereo jack, the pots are ok. The chrome parts are in pristine condition as can be seen, even the chrome pickup cover is there.

As on some other Japanese basses like this one the bridge is slightly lifted at the back side, so there is a metal part added underneath it (in the hollow part) which holds the strings down- probably added by the previous owner. The truss rod is working. The bass went straight to the previous owner's luthier for fret leveling and set up. Also there was a slight delamination of the lower wing on the back side of the body which can be seen in the pictures but the luthier fixed that also and now it is as solid as it can be. 

It still has the original foam muter which works perfectly. The neck is straight and the action is good. The wood grain of the wings of the body is awesome. As can be seen the binding of the body is checkered. 

The bass sounds solid and with tons of sustain and roar as it should be. 
TRC sez 'electric bass' in a familiar script. The 'stereo sound' seems to be working, which is good!  It looks the part & sounds pretty cool.

The bass comes in the case pictured- brown leatherette on the outside in very good condition, strange interior but still very protective. 

More pictures from the previous owner here:

[url="http://picasaweb.google.com/cecogp/RBass?authkey=Gv1sRgCK--zKC1hJT-lgE#"]http://picasaweb.google.com/cecogp/RBass?a...K--zKC1hJT-lgE#[/url]

If you want additional details or photos feel free to contact me. 
The price is firm + shipping expenses- I am based nr Chichester in West Sussex.

PM me if you're interested!  Edited by thegreenman555

[quote name='cocco' post='1158977' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:44 AM']That's a seriously good looking Faker! Is the thumb rest original?[/quote]

I think so - if you look at it's evil twin here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=270&st=1580"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=270&st=1580[/url] - see post 1597 you'll see two holes in the pick guard where IT'S thumb rest was..

Sorry bout dead link.. I'll post copies of the picks from my own file.

Wish I could afford this - this is probably the loveliest stock Faker I've seen, and a cosmetically very accurate copy of the checkerboard/full-width inlay 4001 from around '72/early '73. All it needs is a Toaster, some Wavy Grover tuners (or the superior copies), a perspex thumbrest & a notch cut in the middle of the mute cover!

Btw GreenMan - quote tags are useful (and polite) if you're gonna quote. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1159751' date='Mar 12 2011, 07:40 PM']Wish I could afford this - this is probably the loveliest stock Faker I've seen, and a cosmetically very accurate copy of the checkerboard/full-width inlay 4001 from around '72/early '73. All it needs is a Toaster, some Wavy Grover tuners (or the superior copies), a perspex thumbrest & a notch cut in the middle of the mute cover!

Btw GreenMan - quote tags are useful (and polite) if you're gonna quote. :)

Jon.[/quote]

Sorry Jon, no intention to offend - :-( amend made & thanks for the additional info on this. It really pains me to part with it, but perhaps it was a little impetuous purchase given the uncertainties in my life..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='thegreenman555' post='1218880' date='May 3 2011, 05:29 PM']Me too, but the cash crisis I thought would abate, just keeps on rolling on.

Make me an offer![/quote]
Sorry to hear about your crisis, is this bass still for sale.