Why become a member? ×

Amp Choice for the weekend.

gary mac

Hi all,

I'm playing at the weekend in a fairly large hall, with the band of many guitarists, keyboard and drums. Not to sure what to use amplification wise.

During rehearsals I've been using my Warwick 150 watt 1 x 15" combo and although I can hear myself (just), it all sounds a bit muddy and not cutting through.

So last night I added my Hartke 2 x 10" 100 watt cab.
This made a huge improvement, a gain in the higher register and the sound cutting through very nicely.

My worry is though, that the Warwick will not be powerful enough for the size of the hall that we are playing in on Saturday.

So, should I use my Trace 300 1 x 15" combo, which is more powerful. Or the Warwick and Hartke combination, which I know cuts through quite effeciently, but is not as powerful.

I am assuming that the 300 watt Trace amp would cause damage to the 100 watt Hartke speakers, if played at a high level.

Any advice gratefully received.

All the best Gary.

Why don't you use your Trace combo with the Hartke 2x10 as an extension cab?

I'm assuming that the internal speaker in the Trace is 8 ohms and that the Hartke is 8 ohms so thery would both be getting 150watts from the head in the combo which shouldn't cause any harm.

Edited by PaulMartin