Why become a member? ×

Are you gonna be... grrrrrr.... my girl

I know what the notes are but I just can't get this to sound right at all. It's the E-G, A-C bit that I fall off. Can anybody who knows this line explain slowly what fingering they use and what (if any) are hammer-ons / pull-offs or what?

I've tried every way of playing it I can think of and they all sound crap. I have to play it in a gig next week and don't want to make a tit of myself - more than usual anyway.

The way I play it is to hammer on the G and C and pluck the preceeding open string E and A.
I don't think that's the difficult bit, though. For me it's the right hand to get the swing beat.

(I'm assuming we're talking about the intro, of course!)

Edited by Jacqueslemac

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' post='1147750' date='Mar 2 2011, 09:49 PM']The way I play it is to hammer on the G and C and pluck the preceeding open string E and A.
I don't think that's the difficult bit, though. For me it's the right hand to get the swing beat.[/quote]

Yeh - I think that's my preference too - although I don't think that's how the original is played. I started off with the E G A all the E string but it's impossible (for me) to get to the C without losing the swing feel. As I say, Grrrrr

Cheers :)

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' post='1147760' date='Mar 2 2011, 09:56 PM']Well if someone can come up with another suggestion, I'm happy to give it a go!

That said, no-one apart from you will notice anyway. We've altered the ending to make it slightly easier to all finish together, but no-one notices.[/quote]

You've convinced me.... open E, open A it is :)

I remember when I learnt this a few years ago, it took a while to get the a handle on the change of rhythm.
You just tried breaking it down into smaller segments?. When it comes to the chnge in rhythm, I bend, just slightly the C, that makes me remember to alter the pace on my right hand.....cocked it up a couple of times, not majorly, just a note, in the early days, but practice is all it is. Step away from it for a while, deep breath and back in again.
Just take my advice when I say, never try doing this straight on the back of Town called malice...totally buggers the brain lol.

[quote name='Jambo10' post='1147844' date='Mar 2 2011, 11:05 PM']Just take my advice when I say, never try doing this straight on the back of Town called malice...totally buggers the brain lol.[/quote]

Funny you should mention that..... :) Don't worry, "My Sharona" is in between, and I wish I was joking!!!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1147960' date='Mar 3 2011, 06:39 AM']Funny you should mention that..... :) Don't worry, "My Sharona" is in between, and I wish I was joking!!![/quote]

I always thought My Sharona being in there would be too much, as our drummer wanted just that...you have convinced me...you're a sadist :)

Way i do it is on the first bar i play A then E, hammer on to the G, then again onto the A, then to C. 2nd bar i play A, then E, hammer on G, pull off to E, hammer on to G again. 3rd time round i play A then E as normal, and then hammer on to the G, again onto the A and pluch the A again. last bar i play C D C A G. Hope that helped, sounds right to me when i play it live. (Pretty often)

Liam