Why become a member? ×

James Jamerson Bass Bash

kiat

Going by the amount of very positive posts about Jamerson from loads of bassists, who would like to physically meet up for a bass bash specifically about Jamerson and his music? It would be great to meet up with other bass players who are into his playing and music - perhaps there are others here that feel the same way?

Maybe celebrate his life even more with a relevant date: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Jamerson"]29th January or 2nd August[/url]?

Some ideas about stuff to do is:

- basslines: share transcriptions/sounds/recordings
- play: playing what we know for fun, try new ones and inspire/help others? favorites? rare ones?
- technique: is Jamersons Hook worthwhile emulating for some tunes?
- life of a genius: ...
- misc:
* how folks have incorporated Jamerson-like licks/sounds into their basslines
* anyone learnt all the SITSOM basslines?
- maybe JamersonsHook (or other Jamerson experts) along to play / give insights?

Just watched the SITSOM DVD last night and was intrigued when the Funk Brothers [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A11484993"]talked about a UK tour in the 60s[/url] and the "James Jamerson Appreciation Society". It may have not have really existed as an entity (cool if it did though!) but I'd be interested in joining one if it exists though. I'm into other bassists too, but for me Jamerson is #1.

-Kiat

If you're going to organise one, you might want to give people a starting point on where you are in the world.

For instance, I'd be interested in coming along to something like this (love Jamerson)... but you can't count me in because honestly, I wouldn't travel the length of the country for it.

Edit: Ok, yes, I see you have some info your profile. Which is helpful.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1147810' date='Mar 2 2011, 10:40 PM']Maybe Detroit?[/quote]

Absolutely the right place but a bit far :) As is Edisto Island. As there's no Detroit in England, the most Detroit-like places, [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_the_United_Kingdom"]says wikipedia[/url], are places like Coventry, Manchester, Birmingham, Cowley...

[quote name='lojo' post='1148969' date='Mar 3 2011, 09:51 PM']Anything that keeps bass players from hanging around in bus shelters is a good idea

Im sure if you arrange it in a central location, and promote some sound ideas for it, you may have a great event on your hands[/quote]

+1
It sounds like a great idea!

It would be a great to bounce ideas off folks in person and figure out how best to do this. I'm prepared to help organise a Jamerson bass bash, but some advice and help would be great - being in a small team to do it even better! Is anyone able to meet up in central London to chat about this, say next week, preferably early evening, pub or whatever?

Edited by kiat

[quote name='kiat' post='1149081' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:29 PM']It would be a great to bounce ideas off folks in person and figure out how best to do this. I'm prepared to help organise a Jamerson bass bash, but some advice and help would be great - being in a small team to do it even better! Is anyone able to meet up in central London to chat about this, say next week, preferably early evening, pub or whatever?[/quote]

I'm passing through London on Friday, in all day Saturday & Sunday and passing through on Monday. Lunch on Monday perhaps? :)

[quote name='TomKent' post='1153284' date='Mar 8 2011, 01:36 AM']I'm passing through London on Friday, in all day Saturday & Sunday and passing through on Monday. Lunch on Monday perhaps? :)[/quote]

Tom, sounds good. If you can make it to Victoria we've got an excellent, free work cafe (I work for a very well known internet company) and a music/games room - it has a bass! I'll pm you my phone and personal email. Cheers, Kiat (PS. no probs if 1-2 others want to join us, if there were more would prob need to lunch somewhere else)