Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Playing like Roger Glover

cameltoe

Where do I start?

My dad had me listening to Fireball yesterday, and although I experienced a bit of Purple as I was growing up, it's only in the last 3 years I've morphed into a bass player. Listening to this yesterday with bass players ears on suddenly made me realise how lazy my playing can be! He chucks some great lines into some songs where it would be very easy to get away with keeping it simple, but in my mind it never sounds like he's overplaying (which I hate).

So where do I start?

Just listen to (and now with the wonder of modern technology, watch on youtube :)) plenty of Deep Purple,

Deep Purple in Rock
Fireball
Machine Head
Who Do We Think We Are

and the awesome live album

Made in Japan

Then get playing them, once you are in the 'groove' they are not overly difficult. You will need speed and good pick control. Get a Rick 4001 if feeling flush (but not essential)

Once we get to Stormbringer with Glenn Hughes, it becomes a different matter for me. I rate his funk rock playing on stormbringer, still can not get near it yet :lol:

My early teens spent listening and working on these basslines, a formative influence in no small part - they still have that excitement and power 39 years or so later. Very good for turbo training on the bike, improves cornering speed on car as well. No babe pulling power by playing DP riffs / numbers these days! unless it's the "strange kind of woman" type :)

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' post='1144987' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:03 PM']Get a Rick 4001 if feeling flush (but not essential)[/quote]
Then rip the pickups out & stick a couple of Jazz p/ups in :)

Around 4:07.

Or just go for a bog-standard sunburst P & spank the pants off it :)

Oh, you'll need a floppy hat too.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='cameltoe' post='1145086' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:46 PM']Was he predominantly a pick player? I normally use fingers, but I'm fairly competent with them.

Great posts btw. I think he's a great player, I'd like to take some of his style into my playing.[/quote]
TBH that footage of Space Truckin' is the first & only time I've seen him playing fingerstyle - maybe keeping that root/fifth pulse goimg in the 'improv' bit is easier than a pick. That's a short version, mind, there are bootlegs that top 30 minutes!

Alternatively... maybe he just dropped his pick at a crucial moment & had to carry on regardless. If so, I bet it hurt afterwards :)

As to style, he's largely a pentatonic player - a bit like Geezer Butler. There's a lot of blues in Purple, & Sabbath started as an R&B band.