Why become a member? ×

Valenti #20 5 string "modern jazz"

daflewis

O.K. guys and gals,

I bought this beauty off eubassix about 4-5 months ago for a very specific job – the musical “we will rock you”. I needed a bass that would do a good impression of a precision and a jazz, which with the single coil/humbucker switch on each pickup and the active/passive switch overall this does perfectly…. and so much more!

O.K. so the next question is… why do I want to sell it already?
Well…. Three reasons actually….

1. I’m not doing much work on that show at the moment so having a bass just for that is a bit o.t.t…. particularly when you consider that…

2. I now have an endorsement deal with Musicman so have a lovely 20th anniversary HH stingray which also does a pretty good impression of a precision with the neck humbucker solo'd.

3. At 19mm the string spacing on the Valenti feels a bit chunky next to my other basses - 17.5mm on the stingray 17.25 on the parker and 16.5 on the warwick (that I’ve played for 17 years!) So it’s not my favourite bass to play – though this is, of course, just personal preference…

actually there is one other reason...

but that's another story...

back to the Valenti....

I paid £800 for it and spent £265 (plus a set of elixirs) getting it into top condition – replaced a noisy pot; had the control cavity properly (and IMO beautifully) shielded with copper

and had it properly set up. All done by a genius – Mark Willmott in Aylesbury – not cheap, but this guy has 30 years experience with Gibson for a start, and knows more about woods than anyone else i’ve ever met. He also has a client list that reads like a who’s who… (actually, i must add his details to the "recommended repairers" list).

Swamp Ash body with Natural finish
34" Scale with 19mm spacing at the bridge
Wenge Neck with black laminate headstock face
Wenge Board
Nordstrand DC5’s Dual Coil pickups
Aguilar OBP-3
Black Hardware
Hipshot A Style Bridge
Hipshot Ultralites Tuners
Weight 9.5lbs
the hard case in the pics won't be included i'm afraid (the pics are from an earlier sale and the case didn't come with the bass when i bought it)

for a bit of "provenence" and more pics check out these links...

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230862"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230862[/url]
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296972"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296972[/url]
[url="http://valentibasses4.blogspot.com/"]http://valentibasses4.blogspot.com/[/url] (page 4)

1-Volume w/p/p for preamp bypass
2-Blend
3-Treble w/p/p for Neck position P/U for Humbucker mode to Single Coil mode
4-Mids with w/p/p for Mid Shift
5-Bass w/p/p for Bridge position P/U for Humbucker mode to Single Coil mode

there are a few very minor dings one just below the volume pot

and three tiny ones on the end of the headstock which i tried to photo but didn't have much luck, this was the best i could do:

so... how much?

well it's cost me over a grand all in but i realise that it's probably unrealistic to expect to get that back (though i wouldn't argue if you insisted!)
so, if i say offers, bearing in mind that i realise that i'm going to lose out in this deal....?

cheers,
daf

Edited by daflewis

[quote name='G-bitch' post='131956' date='Feb 1 2008, 02:37 PM']Gorgeous, that's just the kind of thing I'd entertain if it were 17mm (I've got girly small hand!).[/quote]

thanks G-bitch,

yeh i have similar problems, i'm only about 5'7" :) - so i do find the neck a bit chunky; i wasn't able to try it out before i bought it so just had to go for it.

I don't find it a big problem but it just means it's not the first bass i would go to pick up and play by choice.

cheers

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='131970' date='Feb 1 2008, 03:01 PM']I came very close to bidding on that Overwater... Hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks.[/quote]

yeh, i must admit i'm really happy with it, it bridges the gap between my parker and my stingray really well - a bit more subtle and refined than the 'ray but with more punch and wood than the parker!

i've also always liked the shape - i remember them the first time round! a bit quirky without making too much of a statement in the way that a thunderbird or a vee would...

actually that shape has caused a small problem... anyone know of a good custom gig bag maker in the uk?
with that body and the 36" scale, i can't find one to fit! :)

[quote name='mr_russ' post='135657' date='Feb 7 2008, 12:31 PM']Hi- are those last couple of frets on a fretboard extension over the body? I can't quite see- I was wondering if it'd be possible to remove fret 23 and 24 if this was the case.

R[/quote]

hi, there is a bit of an extension as i recall, unfortunately the bass is with flanker at the mo on trial (though it doesn't look like it's quite right for him), and i can't remember how far it goes under - i'll give him a ring and see if he can help us out...

just out of interest, why would you want to remove the last two frets? is it to aid slapping? or to reduce weight :) :huh: ;) :huh:

actually i shouldn't joke - i know mountain bikers who have done worse ;)

daf

Edited by daflewis

[quote name='daflewis' post='135703' date='Feb 7 2008, 01:24 PM']hi, there is a bit of an extension as i recall, unfortunately the bass is with flanker at the mo on trial (though it doesn't look like it's quite right for him), and i can't remember how far it goes under - i'll give him a ring and see if he can help us out...

just out of interest, why would you want to remove the last two frets? is it to aid slapping? or to reduce weight :) :huh: ;) :huh:

actually i shouldn't joke - i know mountain bikers who have done worse ;)

daf[/quote]

I don't get on with 24 fret necks when slapping- not that I slap at all in bands but I like to very much when I'm in my bedroom ;D

My main bass at the moment is a Stingray 5 HH- Which is an incredible instrument but slapping is slightly hindered by the neck pickup- it's still great to slap on but I love having that extra room on a jazz - even if just for the odd little pop.

Cheers ;D

Russ

Just had a look for you.

There is an extension but it is a curving one.

It starts on the outside between the 22nd and 23rd fret and curves underneath to about the 23rd fret. So there is a possibility to chop off just over an inch or so. :)

Great bass but my plans have changed so I'll be handing it back to Dav next week.

cheers steve,
thanks for doing that for me...

russ,
my 'ray's HH as well - i do love the warmer tone from the two pups together - great sound for both fingerstyle and slap - not that i slap if i can help it - 15 or so years just playing fretless have left me somewhat lacking in that department! :huh: :)

as for the valenti - if you decide that you'd like to take a closer look, i'm in central london all next week (6pm - 10pm) (1pm - 10pm on wednesday) if that's any use?

cheers,
daf

[quote name='lozbass' post='136387' date='Feb 8 2008, 11:27 AM']Hi Daf,

It looks like you're enjoying reason 4! It's a beauty and you're photography is much better than mine.

Cheers, Lawrence[/quote]

aah, well, you see the light's much better here than it is in manchester ;) and yes, i most certainly am enjoying it!! :huh:

still getting used to that 36" scale though.... :).... but well worth the effort.

hope things are ok with you - any decision on a destination yet?

cheers,
daf

[quote name='lozbass' post='137168' date='Feb 9 2008, 05:17 PM']Hi Daf, thanks and 'looks like Malta - another six months or so slaving in Manchester's half light first though![/quote]

well, it'll help you to appreciate that beautiful maltese sunshine all the more! - very nice :) :huh: ;)

i'll have to come and visit! ;)

Daf very kindly loaned me this bass for a few days and it is a great bass for anyone looking for a light, flexible sounding bass. The Aggie/Nordtrand electrics combination gives a wide variety of tones and although Daf has the action higher than I like it it is a very playable bass too.

I had considered selling my Nordy and getting this plus a few quid but Birdy intervened and it didn't work out so this bass is still available and seriously worth a look.

BTW Daf is a first rate bloke and a top bass player too. (My first time on a double bass today and I thought there was something wrong because I couldn't even make it sound like a bass! Daf made it sound like Stanley Clarke!!) :)