Why become a member? ×

TI Jazz Flats or La Bella Deep Talkin flatwounds

dickandjill

Is it ok to shorten a set of 34" bass strings to fit them on a short (30") EB3 type bass?

I'm after a 2nd hand set of TI JF324 Jazz flats 43-106 and most of the sets that I've seen on sale are JF344 ones 43-100.
I've looked on the Thomastik website and the AD and G strings are the same diameter as the JF344's
just the E string is a little thinner than the short scale one .

Also I've just measured the TI Jazz Flats on my Fender Mustang and the E string is JF344 thickness (.100")
I presume thats because the strings go throught the body on a Mustang?

Thanks
Richard

PS If anyone does have a spare set of these strings please let me know. Thanks

Edited by dickandjill

[quote name='dickandjill' post='1140317' date='Feb 24 2011, 07:30 PM']Is it ok to shorten a set of 34" bass strings to fit them on a short (30") EB3 type bass?

I'm after a 2nd hand set of TI JF324 Jazz flats 43-106 and most of the sets that I've seen on sale are JF344 ones 43-100.
I've looked on the Thomastik website and the AD and G strings are the same diameter as the JF344's
just the E string is a little thinner than the short scale one .

Also I've just measured the TI Jazz Flats on my Fender Mustang and the E string is JF344 thickness (.100")
I presume thats because the strings go throught the body on a Mustang?

Thanks
Richard

PS If anyone does have a spare set of these strings please let me know. Thanks[/quote]
I don't have a spare set of JF324s but I think it would generally be unwise to put JF344s on a shorter scale bass. If you string through body or if the bass has a trapeze tailpiece it might be fine but you risk a broken string if you find your self winding the unsilked string around the tuner peg. The 30" EB3 will really want the 32" JF324s I think. The JF344s may work on a Mustang but I would have thought that JF324s would be better

Are you saying you can't find the JF324s for sale on line? If so, try here: [url="http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RAPRD/Thomastik-JF324-Jazz-Flat/11001620.html"]http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RAPRD...t/11001620.html[/url] or even here: [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/2370-thomastik_jf324_jazz_short_scale_bass_43_106"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/23...ale_bass_43_106[/url]

Edited by EssentialTension

Thanks Dave
I did think it was a bit dodgy cutting down long scale ones
I have seen the strings on stringsdirect but would prefer a second hand set and as I don't need a set for a week or two I thought it was worth trying on the forum first.
So it looks like I'm after a set of Thomastik JF 324 Jazz Flats strings if I can get some secondhand.
I've placed an Ad in the Wanted section
Cheers
Richard

I take on board whats been said however my Mustang must have cut down long scale (34") strings on it as the E string is .100" diameter and it is wound round the tuner a few turns.
If I can get a second hand set of 324 med scale I will try them on it but like you say its probably not worth risking a brand new set
Are there any short scale flatwound strings that are similar to Thomastik Jazz Flats in tone and feel ?
Thing is I really like them on my Mustang and would really like them on my EB3
Chees
Richard