Why become a member? ×

Locking machine heads

oldslapper

Hello!
I've a bass that has locking machine heads...which look like a great idea. However, I have no idea how they work. I tried to put some "old" strings on (to try out) in the traditional manner and got in a right state!

They are not Spertzel rear mounted locks, but top mounted.
Anyone know how you are supposed to put strings on using this type of tuners please?
I have searched youtube for locking tuners/machine heads, but came up with some S&M videos. Very entertaining and painful to watch, but no help whatsoever.

Many thanks in anticipation of your wisdom.

John

Edited by oldslapper

[quote name='mart' post='1140118' date='Feb 24 2011, 04:21 PM']I thought you had to unscrew that knurled bit at the top, then put the string in as usual, then tighten the screw up again. But I've no experience of these things so I might well be talking out of my backside.[/quote]
they aren't all the same. my reference was an old starfield of a friends which locked automatically. you just had to unlock it when removing strings.

I don't know how those particular ones work, but there does seem to be an awful lot of sting wound around the posts for a locking mechanism.

The whole point of using locking machine heads is so you can substantially reduce the amount dead string which can affect tuning stability. The normal method for fitting the string into a locking mechanism is to pull the string as tight as possible through the hole in the post, engage the locking mechanism and then tighten to pitch. On all the instruments I have with locking machine heads this is about ½-¾ turn around the post.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1138824' date='Feb 23 2011, 04:58 PM']I have searched youtube for locking tuners/machine heads, but came up with some S&M videos. Very entertaining and painful to watch, but no help whatsoever.[/quote]

I have a bad cold. This made me inadvertently eject green stuff from my left nostril, and then I had to clean up. It's difficult enough to keep this keyboard clean. Thanks.

:)