Why become a member? ×

Weird Jazz - any info?

cushymac

Hi

I bought this for very little money and it turns out to be a great playing jazz. Have upgraded the tuners with Schallers and a Hipshot, Wizzard 84 pups and new electrics since these photos were taken.
Now it has been set-up properly it sounds and plays like an absolute dream.

Has anyone seen one of these before and has anyone got any info on it?
I have emailed Hohner and checked their website and no info is available.

Thanks

Steve Mc

Edited by cushymac

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1138347' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:26 AM']Looks like a job for Capt. Japcrap. :)[/quote]
And in a flash of wild speculation - he appears!

It's an oldie - early 80s Korean, I think. Probably Cort, who made the Hohner Pros a few years later.

The round-end J pups & bogseat saddle bridges appear on a good few 80s Koreans (including the aforementioned Hondos & Encores), copied from Japanese designs common in the 70s. Nice abalone inlays by the looks of it - you see these on Hohner Ps from the same era.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1138445' date='Feb 23 2011, 12:28 PM']And in a flash of wild speculation - he appears!

It's an oldie - early 80s Korean, I think. Probably Cort, who made the Hohner Pros a few years later.

The round-end J pups & bogseat saddle bridges appear on a good few 80s Koreans (including the aforementioned Hondos & Encores), copied from Japanese designs common in the 70s. Nice abalone inlays by the looks of it - you see these on Hohner Ps from the same era.

Jon.[/quote]
Tadaah! :)

Any thoughts on the control plate Jon? I quite like it. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1138459' date='Feb 23 2011, 12:42 PM']Tadaah! :)

Any thoughts on the control plate Jon? I quite like it. :)[/quote]
I think this is just what Hohner plates were like, at one point. Pretty sure I remember seeing a more tacky-looking Hohner Rockwood J in Crack Converters a while back, fairly certain it was the same basic design as this - same slightly weird control plate & scratchplate layout. It definitely didn't have the same pups, bridge or inlays, or it might've got a bit more attention from me!

J.

[quote name='TheRev' post='1138927' date='Feb 23 2011, 05:54 PM']An early Hohner Arbour series bass? I can remember a Hohner bass with an identical bridge hanging in a local music shop circa 1989.[/quote]

Possibly - but I think the Arbors tend to say so - stuff like cast neckplates & headstock logos with the Arbor brand. TBH the ones I've seen weren't that great.

J.

• 11 months later...

I just bought the same bass, see my pics. I emailed Hohner and a guy there believes it to be an early 80s Arbor series but said there are very few serial numbers from this era. here is is reply,

[color=#1F497D][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]The Arbor series dates back to the early 1980s a range of instruments given it's name to the address of where M.Hohner had it's address in London " COLDHARBOUR LANE" the U was dropped and called and the range "Arbor". I am not absolutely sure if they were from Korea of Japan.[/size][/font][/color]

Its a nice bass. Mine is a solid body with the same neck, check the pics.

I've struggled to find any other info, so its good to see another out there.

Tim

[attachment=99491:DSCN7587.JPG]
[attachment=99490:DSCN7586.JPG]
[attachment=99490:DSCN7586.JPG]
[attachment=99488:DSCN7583.JPG]