Why become a member? ×

All of my basses have the same problem

JeSuisSkeleton

I have three basses, and all of them have developed similar problems. They're all active (Ibanez SR500, Ibanez BTB406QM, Music Man Stingray 4 3EQ), and there seems to be some kind of problem with their circuit boards. I think there might be some kind of contact on the boards that shouldn't be happening.

The Stingray is at the Gallery getting fixed (took it in 13th Jan, heard nothing from them...), the BTB is almost unplayable through an amp; sometimes it works but mostly it crackles, makes popping noises, cuts out randomly and general white noise. The SR500 is the least problematic; every now and then there'll be a pop sound through the amp (definitely not the amp, I've tried several different ones).

Any idea what's causing the same sort of problem in these? The Stingray's issue is a recurring fault from a couple of years ago, but I'm suspicious about how both my Ibanezs have sprung the same problem within a few months of each other. The electricity safety report thing for the house I'm living in at the moment says the electrics are 'satisfactory', and are 35+ years old. Is that likely to cause any kind of issue in the basses? Maybe a surge of some kind? They're all giving me electric shocks from time to time too, which is annoying.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Edited by JeSuisSkeleton

Warning: IANAS (stop sniggering at the back! I am not a sparks in case you were wondering!)

I would have said there is almost definitely something wrong with the electrics in you house or maybe the amp - like a problem with the earth or something?? I think you can get an earth tester to find out..

Edit: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4005"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4005[/url]

Edit 2: [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/PK-Green-Socket-Safety-Tester/dp/B003337BLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298408039&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/PK-Green-Socket-Sa...8039&sr=8-1[/url]

Edited by jmstone

Im a sparky :) If the wiring in your house is 35+ years old and not been upgraded at any point then it wont be "satisfactory" at all. There are only 2 outcomes of a report though satisfactory and unsatisfactory so dont read too much into it already sounding a bit Pah satisfactory, thats the same as a brand new house would get.

If you are getting shocks then the most probable cause is lack of correct earth bonding in your house-
1-Can you see a large green /yellow earth wire coming from anywhere going into the fuse box?
2-If you have Gas and Water are they both bonded with a large earth wire from the fuse box?

Even if they are present without testing properly you cant tell if there is an actual good earth. If you put up some pics of the fuseboard and mains cutout/meter etc I could tell some very obvious faults from there and possibly the vaildity of your certificate. Is the report done by an NIC registered firm or similar outfit?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1137768' date='Feb 22 2011, 09:34 PM']Im a sparky :) If the wiring in your house is 35+ years old and not been upgraded at any point then it wont be "satisfactory" at all. There are only 2 outcomes of a report though satisfactory and unsatisfactory so dont read too much into it already sounding a bit Pah satisfactory, thats the same as a brand new house would get.

If you are getting shocks then the most probable cause is lack of correct earth bonding in your house-
1-Can you see a large green /yellow earth wire coming from anywhere going into the fuse box?
2-If you have Gas and Water are they both bonded with a large earth wire from the fuse box?

Even if they are present without testing properly you cant tell if there is an actual good earth. If you put up some pics of the fuseboard and mains cutout/meter etc I could tell some very obvious faults from there and possibly the vaildity of your certificate. Is the report done by an NIC registered firm or similar outfit?[/quote]
i must introduce you to my landlord!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1137850' date='Feb 22 2011, 10:30 PM']Oh No what have I let myself in for?! :)[/quote]

Noted.

I also noted that you seemed to know a thing or two about repairing rust damage in the bodywork of a car.

and your Stingrays...

if you were a woman I'd ask you out. :)