Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmmmmmmm.... Squier P Bass Special....

Dr_Tom

Hi,

Basically I am after a bit of advice, but firstly I think I should give you a bit of a background about myself. Essentially i've been playing for ten years now in plenty of bands and have got through multiple basses, finally ending up with a mexican fender jazz bass, which I absolutely love. I love the feel and the sound and it has done me well every single gig and recording.

One of my problems is I like to collect basses..... I have never got rid of one, but I like to get myself something new every so often, but still continue using my old ones, it gets cluttered on stage....

Currently I do not want to stray away from Fenders, the sound is what I have been searching for. The only issue I have with my mexican is the bridge is constantly dropping and it never seems to stay in tune for very long (even when the bridge stays put). Plus some parts like the knobs feel a little cheap. In the end I would love to get an American jazz (ideally a 1962 reissue....) but as a student I do not have that kind of money.

I currently have an old stripped Squier P bass body around which I was considering spending a bit of money on spraying, buying a new neck and electics e.t.c.

Then I saw this..... [url="http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/buy/Squier/Standard_P.Bass_Special"]http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/buy/Squier/S..._P.Bass_Special[/url]

I love the look of it, and I was thinking about just spending my money on that instead. But the question I pose to yourselves is, how good are squiers now? and since I am currently playing a proper fender, would it just be a disappointing?

I know I could always save up and replace the pups, but it would probably be quite a while down the line, has anybody experience the squier pups? Plus whats the build quality like?

Can someone please let me know if I am mad?

Cheers
Tom

Problems with the bridge?
FIX IT!!! :)
Seriously, it's not hi-tech.

As for the Squier... I used to own that model, in sunburst... but yum, that one in metallic grey looks amazing!
It was a great bass. Very heavy 'though. If I'm correct, they're made in Indonesia, and I seem to hear that weight comment a lot from Squiers made there. It may just be coincidence, I don't know for sure. So, mine was a very nice bass... Your fender will probably feel, play and sound better. But not a huge amount better. The Squier is fine in my opinion, but it's not the same quality, although you probably don't expect that. Pickups were alright, although the Jazz one seemed a bit "meh" to me, as far as I remember.

The local crack converters in Paisley has one of these in for £150. It`s black with a matching headstock and a mirror scratch plate and looks a nice piece of kit. Didn`t have time to have a shot but it was very nice. Even though the Indonesian ones don`t get the write up that the Chinese ones, my VMJ was made there and it`s good and I have had an Affinity P and it was good as well.

Jez

cheers for the replies, I am seriously tempted, although I think i've just found out that the Pewter one has been discontinued, which makes me slightly less tempted. If one appears second somewhere I think I'd definitely go for it. Maybe I should just scratch the bass project itch I've been getting for quite a while now....

Anyway I would still love to hear what others think of this bass